Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 SS Six, manual brakes and steering
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 64 SS inline six. The car starts after a few pumps on gas pedal but it takes awhile. After driving the car for a few hours, it will turn over but doesn’t start. I have to pump the pedal a few times and when I turn the key, nothing happens at all, no engine turnover gauges work, battery is fine, I wait a few minutes and try again and then it will turn over and maybe start. I have replaced the neutral safety switch with a NOS part. I have rebuild the starter too. This only happens after I’ve been driving it for awhile. Maybe a heat shield?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like it could be a fuel issue as opposed to an ignition problem. I had a '64 Chevy van with inline six that did the same thing. Those vans were notorious for "Heat Soak" when you shut it off where the stored up engine heat soaks into the carb and causes the fuel in the carb bowl to boil off into vapor. Guys try all kinds of crazy stuff like wrapping the fuel line in aluminum foil, heat shields under the carb, and even clothes pins (yes clothes pins) clipped to the steel fuel line to act as a heat sink. I won't ramble on and on just Google search "Carb Heat Soak Chevy Inline 6" to get some ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my 63 with HEI and external coil on a 250 I had a similar problem but it was the control module inside the distributor that was overheating and wouldn't let the motor start. But mine would just die while driving and after it cooled off it would start, until it finally went out completely. The new module came with some special grease you put between it and the housing to help shield it from heat soak. Not sure if this is what you have going on but might be worth checking if it ends up not being fuel related. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an HEI in there now. Did yours just do nothing when you turned the key? Mine was completely dead. I let it sit for ten minutes and then started it. I’m thinking my starter was heat soaked. But I will look into the “grease” as well. I just picked up some heat shield material for it as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like you have a no crank correct? Stupid question but have you used a hammer on the starter when there is no crack? sounds like you have a starter or starter solenoid issue when its hot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask! Yes, I keep one in the glove box!!! I'm not sure if replacing the starter/solonoid would do the trick? I rebuilt the starter a few years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I remember correctly it would just turn over without firing and starting. In the picture the control module is the black box and the grease went between it and the the distributor.

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
282 Posts
As drew1320 stated, sounds like a no crank, starter issue. Have someone turn the ignition key when it won’t start and use a test light or voltmeter on the solenoid terminal where the purple wire is attached. If you have voltage it’s a starter issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would check your firewall connection or your ignition switch. Both of these would cause not crank issues tring to start early gen Novas. My 63 Wagon firewall connection was super loose/ and even after cleaning it several times - I would still need to unconnect it and connect it back in to start the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would check your firewall connection or your ignition switch. Both of these would cause not crank issues tring to start early gen Novas. My 63 Wagon firewall connection was super loose/ and even after cleaning it several times - I would still need to unconnect it and connect it back in to start the car.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of replacing the whole harness and then work through the system. Is the harness just a plug in type, meaning that I could unplug the old one and get a new one. I would have to runs the wires out through.

I am thinking that the HEI module may be an issue too. I had someone else install it so I’m not sure of the wiring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I remember correctly it would just turn over without firing and starting. In the picture the control module is the black box and the grease went between it and the the distributor.
View attachment 417377

I didn’t install the HEI. I had someone do it for me when they were doing other stuff to the engine. Would the grease go inside the module?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, it just spreads in between the top of the distributor and the bottom of the module where they touch before you install it. I guess it helps keep some of the heat from transferring to the module.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts