Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 64 2 door sedan has been sitting in the garage for over 20 years until I recently decided to "just get it on the road". In the process of addressing all the potential safety issues after having sat that long, I was removing the idler arm for service (it was shot) when i noticed a crack in the frame on the passenger side just behind where the front subframe connects. You can see the mounting holes for the now removed idler arm to the right in the picture. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm not aware of any collisions in the past. I thought the car was in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That is a weird place to have a crack like that with no other visible damage. It doesn't appear to be caused by rust in between the two pieces. Very strange. I would start by cleaning the area up real good and see if it could be leveled back up and welded. Just for reference, here is a pic of mine.
20200418_175826.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's double walled in that area so it needs to be strong. The way the two layers seem to be pushed apart, could there be rust forming in there? I've seen rust push layers apart like that. I think I would cut the lower part away, clean up any rust and weld in a new fabricated lower piece.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The top layer looks to be pushed up abruptly at the crack. In thinking that the car might have dropped off of an curb or something like that and caused the deformed upper layer and cracked lower.. It is a pretty weird spot to be damaged like that..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts