Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have started on the repair of the passenger side of my car. I have to many pics and to much detail to add this time.

This thread will take a while to finish as the work is still ongoing and the morrel mushrooms are starting in my area. Not to mention my # two son starts baseball on two teams soon.

Thanks for looking.

DSC03110 on Flickr
DSC03114 on Flickr

DSC03116on Flickr]
DSC03115 on Flickr
DSC03127 on Flickr
Heres what I had before I started cutting out the bad.

DSC03117 on Flickr
DSC03118-1 on Flickr
DSC03119-1 on Flickr

Here the cowl side cover has been removed.

DSC03130 on Flickr

Next I cut the corner of the cowl out.

DSC03141-1on Flickr

Back of the lower fender mount area cut out. I left the stamped part of the back panel in place as it as solid.

DSC03143 on Flickr

Pattern and patch panel for back side of fender mount area.

DSC03157-1 on Flickr

Toe panel area of floor cut out. Here I left as much good metal as I could fastened to the frame. This did make for an odd shaped patch.

DSC03146-1 on Flickr

Pattern and patch made with the help of HF bead/flange roller.

DSC03151on Flickr

Lower cowl side cut out.

DSC03254-1 on Flickr

Pattern and patch for lower cowl side.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YcDg4W]
DSC03150 on Flickr
DSC03158-1 on Flickr
DSC03156-1 on Flickr

Lower cowl side area after I thought I was finished cutting out the rust. The inside view shows how close the rust is to the vent opening. I decided that I must fix the bottom corner first and get it reattached to the floor before I cut any more bad metal out of the top corner. I was afraid that the cowl side could move on me. At this point the floor from under the front seat back, the top corner of the firewall/cowl and the door pillar are keeping it all in place.

DSC03247 on Flickr

Corner after blasting.

DSC03249 on Flickr

I found more rust through after blasting. I also blasted inside of the front of the rocker.

DSC03255 on Flickr

Now I have the back of the fender mount area welded back in. I plug welded the top and the bottom at the back. But welded the rest and the corner of the bracket above it.
I cold galvanized inside of the front of the rocker before I welded this piece on.

DSC03281-1, on Flickr

Out side of fender mount area with rest of bad metal removed.

DSC03283 on Flickr

Pattern and patch.

DSC03282 on Flickr

Not an easy piece to try to bend and make fit.

DSC03284 on Flickr

A little more grinding is all thats left here

DSC03285-1 on Flickr

Lower cowl corner.

DSC03289 on Flickr

Toe area of floor plug welded back in with a few tack welds on some edges. The front side has been tacked also. I plan to weld all of the edge on the front side.

DSC03292 on Flickr

Front side welded. I had some trouble here, the old floor wanted to burn away at its edge.
DSC03293 on Flickr
Cut the bad out right to the lip of the vent opening.

DSC03295 on Flickr

Pattern and patch.
DSC03296 on Flickr

One more piece in.

All of the metal I have made my patches with used to be part of air conditioner cabinets.
At times you can use the corners that are already bent to your advantage.

Toe area is done. Now that the lower corner of the car is reattached to the floor I will start to cut out above it.

Heres the pieces and patterns for the lower kick panel.

The panel after the three pieces were tacked together, next I then welded them.

Now the side cover has been clamped in place to locate the lower kick panel before it is tack in place.

Kick panel after welding it in.

I thought I was going to get the old clip out of my way weeks ago. Since I am using it to locate the upper mount holes and have to have it in my way it became a work bench and welding table.

I used the drivers side to make this much of this pattern. Even the hole for the firewall insulation match's on both sides

h

Now that the firewall has been cut out I will finish the pattern using the cut edge so the patch panel will match up.

[IMG]http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/1stgenerationchevyII/DSC03319.jpg

Here it is with some extra for a flange.

Here is the top mount area after I cut through the other layers of metal to remove the mount. I then trimmed back the edges to allow some room for welding them one at a time.

Removing the layers of metal from the mounting bracket. There was a lot of rust between the layers.

My rust removal by electrolysis tub.(I learned this great tip on this site) This is great for small parts that are heavily rusted. After a trip through here they sand blast much easier. The rust on top of the water is all from the top mounting bracket.

Hers the bracket after it came out of the tub. It may not look to clean but the heavily rusted areas flake off now.

Now it has been sand blasted. The top and the lower left corner are heavily pitted. I will have to repair it or make a new one.

Here it is after I welded it up, ground it down and blasted it

I hope this is the last of the bad metal I will need to remove from this corner of the car.

I used patterns and the old parts to help make the pieces I needed for here.

This pattern of the 3rd layer back is from the drivers side with some extra added to make it work for the passenger side.

3rd layer is in.

Now I bolted the old front clip back on again to locate the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is the 4th layer. I used washers to make up for the 1st and 2nd layers that have not been installed yet.

Mounting bracket after plug welding it in and tacking some of the edge.

2nd layer and pattern, ready to weld

Here is the 2nd layer after welding, grinding and spraying copper weld through primer.

patch and pattern for the top of cowl ready to install.

Now the top is in. Because I ground the weld down so far on the top side I also tacked the back edge of the flange from underneath to give it extra strength at the flanged joint.

Patterns for upper kick panel.

Upper kick panel installed.

Heres the patch for the firewall. This is the last piece other that repairing the side covers and installing them.

The firewall patch is in. Seamed like I was never going to get this far when I started. Great next I get to sand blast again.

After blasting I used some waterproof fiberglass filler to smooth up the areas that will show.

I cold galvanized the inside of the cowl.

The outside got self-etching primmer.

I used body sealer on all of the welds and after letting it dry for 2 & 1/2 days I painted it all semi-gloss black.

The top got the front edge sealed to keep out water and was sprayed with a custom filled can of the original Lagoon Aqua.

Finally the 63 clip is on. I bought a front end bolt kit, however the bolts for the top mount on the inner fender are not long enough to use the shim for the drivers side. I may not need the shim. I measured from the top fender bolt hole to the first hole in the inner fender and found it is the same on each side. I will find out for sure when I try to install a fender. (I ended up using 3 of the old bolts and and installing the new body shim.)

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats sleep.

I will be busy alright. We have a goal to have enough done to drive this car by my birthday on May 22nd.

Most of the replacement front clip, headlight assembly's,mud buckets,bumper brackets and ect. have been cleaned, painted and are ready for the reassemble.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
75 Posts
man that's awesome work! now i have somethin ta show my wife when she gets on her sell that rusty thang kick. I love seein someone fix'em from that condition. mo pics please:D

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mo pics

Thanks Lamchop

I have been adding pics as soon as the work is done. Glad to know you are enjoying them.:)

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Very nice job. This is a lot of work! I just got done patching mine up where the subframe attaches. My car was not as bad as yours, but I can feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good!

Looks great John. I like your welds, look better than some of what my cheap MIG is producing

A lot of work is an understatement! I knew this side was worse so I tackled the drivers side first for practice.
Sure wish I was done and able to drive it.

EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
man you really had some fabrication to do there.....

If any of you need rust free Cowls for the other side I have two sets cowls rust free lots metal and save time PM me I will be happy to help Joe

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Looks great John. I like your welds, look better than some of what my cheap MIG is producing

A lot of work is an understatement! I knew this side was worse so I tackled the drivers side first for practice.
Sure wish I was done and able to drive it.

EarlyIIs
I was very fortunate that the inner layer at the subframe mount was in good shape (the one with the welded nuts). Like you though, I had to rebuild the other layers one at a time. It's not fun dealing with the way the cowl gutter rolls under. Made for some interesting fabrication.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man you really had some fabrication to do there.....

If any of you need rust free Cowls for the other side I have two sets cowls rust free lots metal and save time PM me I will be happy to help Joe
Novajoe is right rust free metal would save a lot of time. I feel am past the worst of it now and will fabricate the rest.

EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time running short.

As May 22nd gets closer I don't see myself having enough time to finish getting my car drivable. I have only a few more pieces to install not counting the cowl side covers. I still have to re-blast,prime, seal and paint the repaired areas and put the front of the car together.

If I don't make the 22nd I will be shooting for the 29th. There is a locale car show May 30th and if my son doesn't have baseball that day we are hoping to attend it.

More pics will continue to be added till I am done.

Thank again for looking,
EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)

Three days behind my original schedule the car now moves under its own power. Just need to assemble the rest of the front end to drive it on the street.

EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Made it to the show on 5/30/09. Entered her in the 4 door class and went away empty haded. That was expected as there were some nice cars in the class. Out of approx 158 cars there was one chevyII and one 72 Nova.

This is the last of working on the car for awhile. The 2 + months of solid work have caused other things to be left undone. We still have firewall insulation, a heater assembly, glove box and misc. to install.

Thanks for looking

EarlyIIs

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Made it to the show on 5/30/09. Entered her in the 4 door class and went away empty haded. That was expected as there were some nice cars in the class.
EarlyIIs
Nice work!!! I like seeing this stuff once in a while to keep me motivated on my project!!

And hey, so what, who cares about trophies when you have the ability to say you repaired your car with YOUR OWN HANDS? To me, the satisfaction of doing this stuff on our own totally offsets not winning a trophy against cars that were more than likely done by paying a shop. Sure, it would be nice to take trophies home, but they just end up sitting around collecting dust. I'll pride myself on the joy of driving this car (some day!!) instead of bragging about trophies. She won't end up perfect for show, but she'll be perfect for me.

NICE JOB MAN!!!

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work!!! I like seeing this stuff once in a while to keep me motivated on my project!!

And hey, so what, who cares about trophies when you have the ability to say you repaired your car with YOUR OWN HANDS? To me, the satisfaction of doing this stuff on our own totally offsets not winning a trophy against cars that were more than likely done by paying a shop. Sure, it would be nice to take trophies home, but they just end up sitting around collecting dust. I'll pride myself on the joy of driving this car (some day!!) instead of bragging about trophies. She won't end up perfect for show, but she'll be perfect for me.

NICE JOB MAN!!!
Thanks 66 Badboy

I definitely did not take the car for the trophy it might get. I went to enjoy the other cars, see if any other early ChevyIIs might be there and make sure there was at least 1 ChevyII at the show. We like to see the old original cars and trucks and there was a nice variety at this show.

Hope my thread helps you see the light at the end of your tunnel. It looks like you have had your hands full on your project. Good luck.

PS the only thing I did with my own hands to the car the last two days was drive it, it was great.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great effort.

man, I'm doing the same right now. Your's seems worse than mine, but if I can get close to the same results, I'll be happy....:yes:

·
Registered
566 Posts
next car show, feel free to put up a little bulletin board with pics of all your work. I think the average person looking at the car will have no idea how much cancer has been cured.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
next car show, feel free to put up a little bulletin board with pics of all your work. I think the average person looking at the car will have no idea how much cancer has been cured.

We did print 20 pics and take them along. Just didn't have time to cut them apart and get them in a album on on a board. I worked till 10:00 am that day and barley made it to the show at 11:05 am

Got in trouble with the wife for the pics, she wants to know why I used 5 sheets of her premium photo paper when we had a lot more standard paper. I told her as hard as I worked on the car I deserved it. She didn't like my reasoning.

Guess she will understand if we ever find a 66 like she wants.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Glad to see it finished! Great job!

I'm sure you were cursing those multiple layers by the subframe mount, just as I was when I fixed mine! Seems like the construction is designed to fail after 45 years of water running through the cowl vent.

It's a lot harder then it looks, so I defintely commend your efforts! :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts