Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang,
New here, looking for some advice: I just bought a 64 Chevy II 4-door, 6 cylinder, 3-speed. I plan on putting a small bock, Muncie 4 speed, and 12 bolt rear. Want to build a muscle car. I've been out of the work arena on this stuff, for almost 30 years. Used to build and blow camaros and chevelles in the late 70's early eighties. Only been spectator for years now as work and family has kept me hopping.
I'm told: " You'll never get a small block in there unless your good at cutting and welding".
Is this true? Will I have Header fitment issues?
Will the oil pan/ crossmember placement be a problem?
I heard about "Block huggers or shorties" for headers, and Summit Racing makes a special oil pan. Is this necessary?

I bought a 400 sb. Owner claims it has 430 horse, only 600 miles. Did I make a mistake?
Link to engine ad: http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/3562421927.html

:eek:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It is all a bolt in deal no cutting or welding required swapped my 64 from IL6 to 355 couple years ago .

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Just check this site for fitment issues - not all heards, obviously work - check the "best of" forums - lots of information..

You'll need mounts, re-route a few things, new coils for the heavier motor - swapping out the suspension? Get a plan / research / then move on it..

Welcome to the site..

I also have a SBC in mine - somethings are close - I have to change the #7 spark plug from under the car - my power brake booster and proportioning valve are in the way..

good luck and :pics::pics::pics:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I feel better. My daughters boyfriend convinced me to buy the 400 before it was gone. I have been getting crap from friends saying I'll be sorry. Did you click on the link to the ad for the engine? Is it a good buy?:confused:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hard to tell from pictures - but I htink you will need to swap the pan so the steering linkage will clear - but not a major issue.. check the heads in terms of angle plug vs straight plug to confirm which headers to use..

You might also need to switch to a smaller diameter dizzy (petronix) make a nice HEI small body .. some will fit (mione did) others need to "massage" the fire wall a little so they can install their dizzy once the motor was dropped in..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
add description for 400 ci-430 horse. $1900

This motor was for my project truck. Not going to use it now. Built by les, the owner of Horsepower Engineering in Ellington. Just under 600 miles on it. ITS BARELY BROKEN IN!

Im selling this motor complete from carburetor to Headers. Most parts are NEW IN BOX.

Keith black pistons, Eagle crank, Comp cam, vortec heads, new pete jackson gear drive, new moroso deep oil pan new MSD complete distributor rebuild, new MSD 8.5 mm wires, new Holley 650cfm jetted, new duralast alternator, starter, headers, new plugs, new intake manifold, new polly motor mounts, new flex plate, new water pump, new thermostat, new double copper header gaskets, pullys, steering pump, new oil filter, fluids also come with it.

FYI Since the motor is not in a vehicle right now I DO have every opening/hole taped up and sealled, oil in the cylinders, heads, pan. and it is then bagged up. Obviously everything was taken off for the picture.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I used the stock springs when i put the V8 in my 64 if you look up new springs for the 64 they only show 1 set for IL6 or V8 here is a picture of my 64 with V8 in it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you can find a copy of this it has everything you need listed

looks like May issue of 2011 maybe had that saved so can`t really say without digging through a pile of magazines .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was looking for that magazine this weekend. Could not even find it online.
Nice blue 64 4-door. That is where I want to get!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hey John Welcome.
As the others have said it's not a difficult swap. Hearers are an issue due to limited engine bay space.
Check out Sanderson,Hooker and Dougs for correct headers.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You will have no problem slapping that 400 in your nova, no problem at all.

All you need is some v8 frame mounts, v8 motor mounts, new pan with a hole or slot cut out to fit your center link or as some have done and used a front sump oil pan.

Headers are up to you, you can use sanderson which are good, or some hooker headers or hedman. For some reason on mine the headers were the hardest part to get in there. I used the hooker 2243's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts