Hello,
I have a '64 Nova 4dr with a 6cyl, I've named her "Matilda". I've purchased
NovaDriverSide.jpeg
NovaFrontPassengerSide.jpg
NovaFrontDriverSide.jpeg
NovaPassengerSide.jpeg
NovaRearDriverSide.jpeg
NovaRearPassengerSide.jpg
what seems to be a 67 327 that was used in a 68 passenger car. The code stamped on the rear of the block shows it to be 275hp from the factory. The engine was built professionally as a spare race engine for a '72 Corvette. Problem is that I only have a partial build list and the builder has since retired and moved out of the area. Matilda originally had 13" rims when I purchased her. Those of course will be replaced with 14" rims.. I am planning on using a 12 bolt for the rear end. I am undecided on the tranny right now. I am leaning towards a turbo 350. I will definitely be speaking to others with more knowledge about trannies than myself before I make that decision. Like I said, the car is in her stall in my garage. I just started on the suspension. I will also do the steering and the brakes right now. As I stated, I didn't build the engine so I want to make sure the car will handle and stop prior to actually swapping out the motor. I've looked around my area and can't find anyone to dyno an engine out of the vehicle which means I will have no idea what I am putting out for HP until the build is done and I can get the car on a dyno. The original plan was to turn it into a sleeper. Not so sure I will be able to call it a sleeper when it is all put together. No matter what, it's gonna be a fun ride. Here's what she looked like when I first purchased her.

·
12,942 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site. Good to have you aboard.

Not that it really matters, but the 1967 and 1968 Chevy II 275 HP blocks were different. 1967 models used the 3791362 and 1968, including the 325 HP L79, used 3914678. Always good to know what you really have, so the block number should give you that info.

Bob

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Welcome to SNS

glad to have you join - in

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what is it?

The code on the block is 3903352 which is a 67 327 210HP. The hub in front of the passenger side head has TO812EA stamped on it which is a 68 327 275hp, the date stamp on the back of the block is G258, but it might be G256. Trying to upload pics but not having any luck yet, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
12,942 Posts
Here's the info I have for the 3903352 block. With the EA suffix code, this block would have been used for 327/275HP applications in both 1967 and 1968 Chevelles.

TO812EA is: T=Tonawanda, 08=August, 12=12th day, EA=Chevelle. The G258 is G=July, 25=25th day, 8=1968. You mentioned the casting date might be G256, which would make it a July, 1966 cast. If it is, the engine was in a 1967 Chevelle. I think the 1968 cast would be too late for this engine, as it would have been in a 1969 model. I can't find any '69 Chevrolets with an EA suffix code.

Bob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I am just glad to hear it is a 275hp engine from the factory. I don't have a build sheet on the engine. I know for sure it was bored 0.30, has a comp cam, holly street dominator intake, with Chevy double hump heads with the high hump and no accessory holes so I know there have been some performance improvements but I won't know exactly what I have until It is dyno'd. Lot of other systems to go through before the swap even occurs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I guess I was fooling myself thinking that I was just going to get away with rebuilding everything on the front. I found some serious rot on the left skirt and then the firewall at the upper mount and on the outer cowl panel on the right side. I decided that I will be replacing the front clip with an aftermarket clip. I was thinking CPP but am now leaning more towards the TCI or CBP even though they are considerably more expensive than the CPP clip. I thought that even though I had no experience, I could do the sheet metal repairs myself. I ended up removing the cowl and inner shoulder panels myself but decided that it was wiser to pay someone who knew what they were doing to put the new panels in and repair the firewall rather than risk screwing it up and then having to pay someone to repair my screw up. He did a great job. Firewall left of upper skirt mount.jpg getting uglier as I go along.jpg bottom of cowl area once panel off.jpg 20191130_125304[1].jpg cowl panel repaired.jpg Progress today 12-28-19.jpg

I found more rot on the driver side and a bad repair on the passenger side when I pulled the front seat out. The rest of the floorboards look pretty solid. I decided to go all the way and put her on a rotisserie. The car is eventually going to my son and grandson so she'll be done correctly the first time around. driver floorboard after seat removed.jpg passenger front seat mount.jpg solid looking floor.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got the rear end out of her. Just need to get the rear bumper off and then she's on the rotisserie. My LS5.3 arrived today also. Found her for 200.00 on line. Delivered for another 60.00. Can't wait to start working on it

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found some issues with the rockers. Probably could have had them repaired but decided to replace them instead. Sheet metal buddy gonna start working on them this weekend. Also purchased full floorboards and braces for both sides. Floorboards will be repaired after the rockers. Not real happy with the rotisserie I have her on. It's home made and non adjustable. Had to use dual chain hoists to put the body on it and there is mere inches between the top of the car and the ceiling in my garage. It also sits too high to get out of my garage with the body right side up. Haven't turned it yet to see if it will go out of my garage with the body upside down. Will turn it for the first time this weekend when the sheet metal guy comes over to work on the rockers (he built the rotisserie). I'll post pics of the progress with the rockers and floor pans as they go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts