Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE. I have had my transmission out four times yesterday and it still does not work. i replaaced the cover plate and clutch and i can not make it work right. it will not disengage the clutch. is there any chance i have the clutch in backward. i have the long part of the center towards the transmission. i am out of ideas. help. lrd

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I am thinking your Z bar is cracked and flexing not allowing full travel of the clutch linkage. I am assuming your clutch linkage is set up properly.

I know this from experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clutch

no i dont think so. i have put a adaptor for the end of it because i am using a non nova six. the clutch fork seems to be moving ok, and i can see that the pressure plate is moving. it just acts crazy.

·
Registered
242 Posts

make sure you have a short bearing in it..i had the same issue with my 6/3 speed in my 64..had it in and out twice the kit that came with the car when i bought it had a long bearing in it...the car was apart when i bought it so i used the parts that the guy had got for it...yes the dumbazzes at the zone will tell you that it calls for a long one...but it takes a short..look one up for a 67-76 camaro with a small block 4 speed , i think thats how they found the one i needed
good luck
craig

it sounds like you got the disc in correctly

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make sure you have a short bearing in it..i had the same issue with my 6/3 speed in my 64..had it in and out twice the kit that came with the car when i bought it had a long bearing in it...the car was apart when i bought it so i used the parts that the guy had got for it...yes the dumbazzes at the zone will tell you that it calls for a long one...but it takes a short..look one up for a 67-76 camaro with a small block 4 speed , i think thats how they found the one i needed
good luck
craig

it sounds like you got the disc in correctly
thanks man. i will be at the zone at opening time tomorrow. jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clutch

yea thanks i am mobile. i just got home from the holly reunion in bowling green. thanks for the help. i hate to tell you what was wrong, but i put the clutch in assbackwards. the little 101/8 clutch will only work one way. i pulled the transmission five times. i still have to pull it again to take the spacers out i left in. it lets the clutch slip in third. oh well _hit happens. thanks again for the help. jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts