Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
This was his reply to the "original/paperwork question I had for him...

THE ONLY DOCUMENTATION I HAVE IS THE TITLE AND IT DOESN'T HAVE HOW MANY CYLINDERS THE VEHICLE HAS. I DO BELEIVE THE MAN THAT TRADED IT TO ME AND HE GOT IT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER IN 1977, AND THAT WAS THE LAST YEAR IT WAS REGISTERED PER THE TITLE AND THE MAN THAT TRADED IT TO ME. I'VE ALREADY HAD SOMEONE SEND ME A MESSAGE THAT SAID HE BOUGHT ONE IN 1963 THAT HAD A 283 FROM FACTORY. I POSTED IT. SHOOT HIM A MESSAGE. I AM TRYING TO GET SOMEONE FROM CHEVROLET TO VERIFY IT BUT IT ISN'T AS EASY AS YOU WOULD THINK. THE BEST I'VE GOTTEN SO FAR IS: "THE FACTORY CAN BUILD ANY PRODUCTION LINE CAR WITH ANY OPTION THAT COMES FROM THE CENTRAL OFFICE".COPO. EITHER WAY; I'VE LISTED THE CAR PER WHAT I WAS TOLD. IT'S A 45 YEAR OLD NOVA THAT IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN I AM AND I'M 45. SORRY.

L8TR Ric

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The body looks solid.
AL

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
its a rare one indeed its got a factory 62 trunk chrome ,63 hood bar, and a 64 grill, and that powerbrake set up is way ahead of its time,:turn:

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they want that "factory" 63 283 car to be real soooo bad!
He dances around the fact that the current engine isn't a 283, at the very least it's not dressed as a 1963 283....I wish him luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
63 with optional long water pump

I asked this guy if he had the casting numbers, If the block had the recessed oil filter boss, and any other proof of his claim of this being an original car. He had none. I then explained nicely about the 62 and 63 V8 being only a DEALER installed option that could be done thru dealers only( and verry few of those exist) NOT FACTORY. He went on to tell me that you can order anything from the factory and that he currently has a new Camaro on order from the factory with the 502 and expected me to believe that too. Oh well I guess ignorance is bliss, I just hope some poor unsuspecting guy does"nt get jipped!

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I asked this guy if he had the casting numbers, If the block had the recessed oil filter boss, and any other proof of his claim of this being an original car. He had none. I then explained nicely about the 62 and 63 V8 being only a DEALER installed option that could be done thru dealers only( and verry few of those exist) NOT FACTORY. He went on to tell me that you can order anything from the factory and that he currently has a new Camaro on order from the factory with the 502 and expected me to believe that too. Oh well I guess ignorance is bliss, I just hope some poor unsuspecting guy does"nt get jipped!
Is there a documented 63 with a dealer installed v8 still in existence? Just curious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dont know if there is or not.I just know that the parts were available for the swap from the parts counter at the dealer or the dealer could do it for you. It was expensive and usually only done for racing purposes. Bill Thomas race cars did it in 62 with 327s. There are still copys of the hot rod mag. article about it floating around. I only know that you could not order a 62 or 63 from the factory with a V8. I have a 63 hdtp. Ive owned for 27 years with a 283 chevy II block from a 64 wagon and I have it set up to look almost like a factory style install ( a heck of lot closer than the one on e-bay) but I would never try to pass it off as original.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would never tell a fool that there was a dealer installed V8 on a few of these cars. He'll immediately jump to the wrong conclusion, that his car is one of them. 63 dealer conversions were expensive, so few ever existed. I've never heard of a documented one that survived.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only car I have ever seen that I have even considered was from a guy I met from the race track (Maple Grove, PA). He has this 63 sedan that he said was an original V8, 4 speed car. In addition, it has SS badges on it. The car is not restored or anything. In fact, he races it. But the guy is not a bull****ter and I looked the car over several times and I think there is some definite validity to his story and the car. I think the car was ordered to race and a V8 was installed into it at the dealership. It still has the clutch pedal setup in it and it even still has the original factory tach. Check this out! I know you are all skeptical, I was too, but I know quite a bit about these cars and this car is very interesting!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I think you are likely going to get some guys telling you that is not a Nova factory tach but that it's from an Oldsmobile of that vintage.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Anyone who says they have a pre-64 factory V-8 Nova is either smoking crack or full of crap. I've seen so many fakes over the years and have never seen one that even came close to being believable. The SS sedan fairy-tale is probably the most-ridiculous of all.

That tach picture was laughable.

As for the "dealer-installed" V-8, that's stupid too. I can go down to my buddy here at the dealership and get him to install a 69 302 engine in my Nova. I guess that would mean it would be a dealer-installed 302.

Any competent garage can install a V-8 in just about any car. Maybe you could buy the V-8 frame mounts from a dealer in 63 and maybe you couldn't. Who cares? A dealer-installed engine is no different than having one installed at Joe's Garage.

lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Could you even get the nova exhaust manifolds in 62/63.
Did they even produce them in that timeframe ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts