Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So Been busy recovering from a torn Distal tendon and repair surgery on my left bicep so things stopped pretty quick when that happened. I just started back on the project and I thought I had narrowed down my cam choice to the Texas speed Low lift stage 3 cam 216/220 .550/.550 112. Cam with springs is on sale for $379.99 but low and behold they wont ship to California even though it's going in a 63... I chose this cam as I can retain the stock converter according to what they said at Texas Speed and should get me close to the 400hp mark at the engine w/other bolt ons. Anyone have any similar cam they have used or can recommend?

Thanks,
Miles

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'll try calling in the morning. I didn't see an LS cams on their website.

Miles

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Turned out my buddy had one of these Texas Speed Cams sitting in his garage that he ended up not using (he went high lift instead). So I got the cam for a trade and just had to order the springs to go with it. I also ordered the fuel tank kit from CPP and the timing set from Summit so am getting several steps closer. Next is sending the heads off to be redone. As long as everything checks out and goes smooth I will be using the 243 heads I picked up a while back.

Miles

Reactions: chevy2much

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So after talking to the machine shop it will cost me around $700 to get the heads redone. this is reusing the valves and installing new guides and doing a valve job. I see I can buy reman heads outright for about that on ebay and other sites. Should I just get mine redone or just buy some already done and sell these heads I have? Also on the trunnion upgrade kits would bearings or bronze bushing be a better choice?

Miles

·
Registered
612 Posts
Before I'd spend that for basic head work I'd talk to someone like Texas Speed or sink and price them doing the work along with a CNC port job. Some places swap your cores for heads ready to go.

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So will the truck accessories clear or will I need to go to like a corvette setup?

Also The heads are getting machined as we speak, other local machine shop is charging $225 for the valve job and resurface and will check the guides and let me know. They are a couple weeks out on work but I'm not in a huge rush.

Miles

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well got the heads back cost me $385 for valve job, surfacing, and a few guides. So now I just need to make time to start assembling this thing I guess. Still trying to figure out if the truck front accessories will work or if they will be too close to the radiator.

Miles

·
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well getting back to my build finally. I Just picked up a almost new Fitech 70051 for $600 and My buddy is going to help assemble the long block since he has all the tools for the LS engines and more free time than me.

Question? As for the accessories will I need a corvette style setup or does the truck setup clear? I will be running a cpp lower kit (unless I upgrade to a CBR setup).

Thanks,
Miles

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,102 Posts
I’m not sure on the accessories on a stock front end, I have the older TCI clip and am running the GTO, F body accessories. Which are in between the truck & corvette, I have a pretty big radiator and pretty tall fans and it’s all pretty close. Sorry problem not much help.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts