Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the engine build thread for my Project "The Donation Wagon" with a low-mid budget but well assembled goal.

So to start off I've never built or owned an LS platform motor. Driven plenty at work and I have built plenty of SBC engines over the years so not shy to jump in on one. I am starting with a 6.0 LQ4 from (what I was told) a 2005 Chevy 2500HD It came with the matching 4L80E so the story from the seller seems likely. Supposed to have a little over 89K on it and I paid $500 so lots of room to work with. I have already snagged a 2005 GTO oil pan & intake with fuel rails and injectors. My original goal was around 400HP but I may be convinced to go a little higher as I would like to enjoy the car. Goal is fun and reliable. From what I have read I can get to 400HP with a cam, springs and tune fairly easily. I know if I go any bigger I will need a stall which is not out of the question. I came up with the 400HP+ based off of my 14 Dodge 5.7 which is about 400HP stock and it runs great in a truck so in a wagon it should be even better. I don't plan on tubbing the wagon so will be running 17x7 rims at this point in time (tire size still to be determined).

Question 1: I want to go cable Throttle body and I know the GTO intake opening is 91.8mm. What would be a good TB to run on it? I assume a 92mm will fit?

Question 2: What cam/springs/stall would you recommend for 400-450ish HP? Or other ways/mods to get to that goal zone?

Thanks to everyone who has advice and I hope the following build will be informative or at the very least entertaining!

Miles

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sweet combo to have, I just pulled a '05 6L 2wd 4l80 for another project too. FYI the engine should have Gen 4 rods but still be Gen 3 24x. These rods are stronger and you can find out for sure when u pull the oil pan.

Ebay has some cheap 92mm china throttle bodies that will work, but some guys have had issues with the fit up, and the IAC and TPS that come with them. If want to spend considerably more $ then all the big players sell TBs. A good used Nick Williams TB would be worth looking into. If buying a cheap one then loctite the blade screws!

Here is a good read on cam selection below. Few cams will increase torque by more than 15lbs but HP can vary alot depending on lift and duration. Any decent cam will get you over 400HP. For budget the Jegs 0.585" and Elgin 1840 cam are known to work well, probably best value for price. Otherwise give Texas Speed, Brian Tooley or similar a call and they will tell you what to get and can recommend what stall to use.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check out the rods when I get time to tear in to that thing. Good info on the cheap TB and the issues (that will be a last resort if I can't find something better quality in my price range. I'll be reading up on the cams in a bit when I get some free time.

Miles

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the head off the driver side so far it looks like what I would expect. Rockers/upper head looked really clean. Heads and cylinders have some carbon build up and I can still see the hone marks on the cylinder walls. So far so good

Miles

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did an LQ4 with an LS6 intake and 42lb injectors, 243/799 heads, WS6 Store ASA high lift cam, PAC 1218 springs and chrome moly push rods but with the drive by wire throttle body, TAC module and pedal and ended up with 413 HP at the tire. Consider the drive by wire, the throttle response is amazing and you can hook up four wires and have cruise control. With this cam a stall converter is recommended.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8670

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heads are a 317 casting. I will look in to those TB, thanks for the help.

I was looking at the FItech 70051 for running the engine & transmission and I believe that does not support the DBW throttle body. I do not have a harness or computer as of now. My buddy used the 70051 on 2 projects and he has been happy with the results so that's why I was looking at those.

Miles

·
Registered
456 Posts
Heads are a 317 casting. I will look in to those TB, thanks for the help.

I was looking at the FItech 70051 for running the engine & transmission and I believe that does not support the DBW throttle body. I do not have a harness or computer as of now. My buddy used the 70051 on 2 projects and he has been happy with the results so that's why I was looking at those.

Miles
Mine came with 317 but I went to 799/243 heads for more compression. The fitech or the new Holley terminator max would both be good. If you want cruise you can add a gm cruise box from a 90's truck and wire it up.

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. I was debating on looking for some other heads to bump compression but its a slippery slope with me. One thing will lead to 10 other things lol. My buddy has a 224 comp cam so need to see if that will get me where I want to be or if I need to go a little bigger.

Miles

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a set of 243 ls6 heads from a corvette. I may be able to pick them up for about what I can sell off my 317 heads for. Would it be worth my time to do that? Any issues using the newer heads on my block with the ls2 intake?

Thanks,
Miles

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn’t sure if they were the same from ls2 and ls6? That was one of my concerns, the other was if it’s even worth doing.

Miles

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I picked up the pair of 243 heads. Got the heads, rockers, and valve covers. They look to be in good shape and I should be able to sell my heads, the extra rockers and extra valve covers for what I paid for these heads if not a little more.

Miles

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well I picked up the pair of 243 heads. Got the heads, rockers, and valve covers. They look to be in good shape and I should be able to sell my heads, the extra rockers and extra valve covers for what I paid for these heads if not a little more.

Miles
The heads have the same size valves and runners but the 317 has a 71 CC combustion chamber and the 243 has a 64 CC chamber. It will give a decent bump in compression ratio.

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did an LQ4 with an LS6 intake and 42lb injectors, 243/799 heads, WS6 Store ASA high lift cam, PAC 1218 springs and chrome moly push rods but with the drive by wire throttle body, TAC module and pedal and ended up with 413 HP at the tire. Consider the drive by wire, the throttle response is amazing and you can hook up four wires and have cruise control. With this cam a stall converter is recommended.

What's the rpm range for that cam and do you remember what size stall you went with? Also what kind of MPG are you getting?

Thanks,
Miles

·
Registered
456 Posts
What's the rpm range for that cam and do you remember what size stall you went with? Also what kind of MPG are you getting?

Thanks,
Miles
"Our High Lift ASA cam uses the same @.050 duration 226/236 and the same lsa at 110. We have tweaked the lobes and added more lift right at .600 with a 1.7 rar. RPM range will vary based off cubic inch and intake style but you can expect 2800-6600. Pair it with a 3000-3200 stall converter for best results. Works well cruising with ANY rear gear but we recommend at least 3.42 or higher." I have not checked MPG. Its better than my SBC was.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Looks like you're starting your wagon... nice! I went with the ws6store's ASA high lift. If I ever get it out of the shop. I'll hopefully get it running and yout can check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is the engine build thread for my Project "The Donation Wagon" with a low-mid budget but well assembled goal.

So to start off I've never built or owned an LS platform motor. Driven plenty at work and I have built plenty of SBC engines over the years so not shy to jump in on one. I am starting with a 6.0 LQ4 from (what I was told) a 2005 Chevy 2500HD It came with the matching 4L80E so the story from the seller seems likely. Supposed to have a little over 89K on it and I paid $500 so lots of room to work with. I have already snagged a 2005 GTO oil pan & intake with fuel rails and injectors. My original goal was around 400HP but I may be convinced to go a little higher as I would like to enjoy the car. Goal is fun and reliable. From what I have read I can get to 400HP with a cam, springs and tune fairly easily. I know if I go any bigger I will need a stall which is not out of the question. I came up with the 400HP+ based off of my 14 Dodge 5.7 which is about 400HP stock and it runs great in a truck so in a wagon it should be even better. I don't plan on tubbing the wagon so will be running 17x7 rims at this point in time (tire size still to be determined).

Question 1: I want to go cable Throttle body and I know the GTO intake opening is 91.8mm. What would be a good TB to run on it? I assume a 92mm will fit?

Question 2: What cam/springs/stall would you recommend for 400-450ish HP? Or other ways/mods to get to that goal zone?

Thanks to everyone who has advice and I hope the following build will be informative or at the very least entertaining!

Miles
Hi my son Bkhotrod built a LS 6.0 for his 63 box. Only he carbureted it . Ran low 11s all day long . Good choice of engine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts