Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping this weekend. I am pulling the 6 for the v8. I read that is ideal to change the fly wheel to 153 tooth and high performance starter, is this true? Can i use the stock flywheel and starter from mid 80 350 in first gen?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You need a starter that will work with a bell housing and 153 tooth flywheel.
The orientation of the mounting holes on an automatic VS a manual starter is different. The manual starters have a staggered mounting bolt positioning as opposed to parallel bolt position (or vice-versa).

I'm not aware of a reason for not using a stock starter but there may be a good reason to use a "high performance" one (maybe smaller size--more clearance?)

First gen guys would know. Also, in case you didn't see it, there was just a good post on this forum about which bell housing you need for your first gen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check bell housing

Thanks for the reply. How can i check the bell housing?

Also, I am going back with 700r4 out of 85 iroc. The trannie should fit using the old drive shaft and the short output shaft ?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The 700r4 is an automatic transmission which means you don't need a bell housing or a flywheel but just a flexplate. You would need a starter that works with small block chevy and auto trans. Don't know about driveshaft. 1st gen guys will know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The starter and flex plate depends on how the block is drilled for the starter mounting. Pretty sure a 153 tooth fits with straight across holes in block. The 168 tooth uses the the diagonal or staggered bolt holes. I used a mini starter for the room near the exhaust. Also, I think the 194 six I had used the 153 tooth flexplate.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Regarding the 153 tooth flywheel, I checked the casting numbers on mine when I bought it and found they used them in anything from a 194 to a Z28 302 with manual trans. :)

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
The starter and flex plate depends on how the block is drilled for the starter mounting. Pretty sure a 153 tooth fits with straight across holes in block. The 168 tooth uses the the diagonal or staggered bolt holes. I used a mini starter for the room near the exhaust. Also, I think the 194 six I had used the 153 tooth flexplate.
Good luck
Straight pattern on my 350's with 168 flexplate all the time.

400 small block uses the staggered with a 168 tooth flexplate and some have both bolt patterns. I always use the straight starter on my 400 builds and if they don't have the extra hole I drill and tap(when the bare block is on the stand) it then ream the 1st 1/4" with the next size bit like the factory did them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts