Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a diierence between 6cyl and 8 cyl z bars on a 63?Running a tci clip ,zbar seems to wide.Thanks skull

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i know of no difference in Z-bars... but in case yer using a non-chevy II block, i heard a couple times that the adapter (?) for the block to hang Z-bar has had adjustment issues before... a slight tweaking or slight bending to get installed right...

just tossing out a thought. hope it helps ;)

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
skullboy said:
Is there a diierence between 6cyl and 8 cyl z bars on a 63?Running a tci clip ,zbar seems to wide.Thanks skull
Is that an original TCI clip?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is the z-bar that was original to the 6cyl car.The tci clip was just purchased this year.Not sure by what you mean original.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
If I had purchased an aftermarket front clip and my stock z-bar wouldn't work with it, I wouldn't be asking what was wrong with the stock z-bar, I would be asking what was wrong with the aftermarket clip.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just finished my 6 to 8 conversion and Z-bar is exact same, and as pointed out by Flyer, if it's not a Chevy II block, you have to use the bolt on adapter to drop the pivot ball lower on the block. But, if you mean it's not lining up correctly on the driver side framerail of your new clip, Mike has a valid concern/point. Brett in Ala.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like it should bolt on to the left rail,but no holes or bracket there.Should be bracket to allow attatchment on outside of rail.Could make something but i thought this set up was supposed to work with factory clutch linkage/set up.Guess i will have to call.Thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bracket between #10 and #6 seems to be MIA.Sent an email to tim see what his thoughts are ,thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Depending on the clip you are using (sounds like TCI) most don't come with it. The Chassisworks clip comes with the mount already in place in the stock location for those who are planning on a clutch linkage install.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks ,it is a tci and everyone said bolt in set up.I was even very clear on 5 speed set up.Oh well.Maybe this will help future 1st genners.TCI does not have a mount for z-bar on their frame stubs.Wish I would have known that might have went different direction.Back to the train wreck out.skull

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
HA !!! here i have 2 bolt-holes in my rear/firewall framerail area that i "remembered" :rolleyes: for my Z-bar bracket... i go out there and find i too need to add my bracket attachment... :(

oh well, another oversight... another thing on the ta do list :rolleyes: i wonder why this topic never came up before... hmmmph ;)

that's the way it goes, at least others can now be more informed...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, there is a clip that is kinda open ended that is in front of where the subframe bolts to the cowl on 1st gen, this is where the driver side of Z-bar attaches. This clip bolts to the stock subframe, and it is kinda under the steering box if memory is right. And, I'm here at work for 13th hour, so I'm getting dain-bramaged from exhaustion...
The engine side attaches to the adapter plate (for non-Chevy II blocks) which drops the pivot ball down lower to line up in a straight line with frame side attachment. And, the stock z-bar has a zeirt fitting and is full of grease. If the guy having the problem will look at some major supplier catalogs, he can see what this little bracket looks like that contains his z-bar on the driver side and he can see what the adapter bracket that bolts to the block looks like. Or, if he's got the adapter bracket already bolted, can hold the z-bar up by hand and figure out where his bracket is supposed to go and tack it down. Brett in Ala.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My bracket is part of the"assembly"Welded on as a unit.As in part of the rail/fenderwell.No unbolting here just have to fab a part.Should be pretty easy bracket to make I thought I was not seeing something correctly,not my eyes this time.Thanks for input guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts