Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the rear end out of my '63 nova last week and i think it is NOT the original for it. i typed in the casting numbers on the pumpkin but it came up as a '65 nova. cant seem to find a site for these rear ends. been searching for the past week. any suggestions on where to go? the # is N3833443X thx

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
The simple test would be to count the lugnuts. 62-63 were 4 lug with the 'front dropout' style center, 64-67 are 8.2" 10-bolt (or 12 bolt if you're real lucky) with a rear cover and were 5 lug.

The 1st gen diff is narrower than most, so make sure someone hasn't stuffed a wider diff in there (later Nova, Camaro, etc) as that will limit your rim choices.

There's some ID info here:

http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Plus the '63 differential is a drop-in third member, where the '65 is an 8.2 inch ten bolt with the inspection cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Plus the '63 differential is a drop-in third member, where the '65 is an 8.2 inch ten bolt with the inspection cover.
all i know so far that it's a 10-bolt 5 lug rear end and the casting # on the axle shaft, the first 2 letters "BA" is from a '65 but the numbers on the pumpkin has got a "N" above the numbers if that means anything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts