Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13,715 Posts
Definitely not original 1963 Nova buckets. Anybody have any idea what they're from?

Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
They may not be original but if you’re looking for something similar for a 1st gen I think this is a good deal. It just sucks that the seller is trying to pass them as og’s.

·
13,715 Posts
Did a little internet sleuthing last night and looks like these seats might be out of a 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The seller probably bought his Nova with these seats installed and believed them to be original. They fold completely forward, where 62-64 Nova folded at an angle. The 1965 Nova SS buckets were slightly smaller and tilt straight forward. These Cutlass seats might be too big for a '65 Nova SS.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The hockey stick trim pieces and vinyl pattern are not Nova nor are the symmetrical floor tracks. These are A body/Corvair type seats and look to be Cutlass as pointed out Bob.. Somewhere there’s a Cutlass guy looking for some buckets and or the trim pieces which probably aren’t reproduced.. And here we have a sheister trying to pull a fast one.

There’s nothing Nova about these seats..!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe he's trying to pull a fast one... He probably doesn't know Novas and didn't realize that they weren't originally from one!

·
13,715 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site. Good to have you here at Steve's.

Those look like really nice seats, but appear to be 63/64 Nova SS. '65 seats were slightly narrower, had a different cover pattern and folded straight forward.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you

Thanks for the welcome, I have been a member for eight years just never post. I am aware of all the above info, but I think you will agree 65 bucket seats are just a bit harder to find than 63/64. Another member shared info for install, but after reading everything involved I have come to the conclusion the juice is not worth the squeeze!

·
13,715 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I have been a member for eight years just never post. I am aware of all the above info, but I think you will agree 65 bucket seats are just a bit harder to find than 63/64. Another member shared info for install, but after reading everything involved I have come to the conclusion the juice is not worth the squeeze!
Agree 100%. 1965 bucket seats are a rare find and costly if you do come across them.

Bob

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Shows me a 65 Nova bucket seat.. I really want to see a Unicorn.. I seen 65’s with later style Strato buckets like 66-67’s have and I’ve seen them with earlier style seats possibly A body/Corvair type seats.. Since there is no real significant changes to the basic floor from 62-67 I can’t help but think the ‘65 seats have the illusion of being different when in reality they are an off the shelf item that makes the car look different much like the grill and tail lights on the ‘65. It’s still the same body otherwise..

GM and Chevrolet were not in the business to create Unicorns.. They had their ass handed to them with the Corvair and that was a unicorn.. Very little of the Corvair was shared with the rest of the GM production models. ChevyII’s are safe traditional cars with a host of family genetics derived from other production models.. It was not an “outside the box” type of car as the Corvair was.. The ChevyII/Nova is a “back to basics” compact that evokes new interpretations with every generation of car builder..

·
13,715 Posts
Well, the '65 SS bucket seats ARE different. They're slightly narrower than 63/64 and fold straight forward as opposed to the earlier SS seats that tilted at an angle. They also have a very different upholstery pattern. It's believed the seats were narrowed to clear the new, larger 1965 SS console.

Indeed, the '65 Chevy II is a unicorn....unusual, rare and unique. Considering an almost entirely new model came out in '66, you have to wonder why they didn't just do a minor refresh of the 1964. Those 'unicorn' bucket seats were only good for one year, along with the interior trim, exterior trim, front and rear ends and a modified roof line on sedans. Even the new console was a unicorn, having to be immediately changed for the following year to allow the optional 1966 a/c evaporator to be removed. Bottom line...a ton of rare, one year stuff never to be used again. Even with all the changes to the '65, it didn't sell well. A lot of buyers went to Chevelle and Mustang. Many were waiting for the Camaro. We're fortunate GM didn't pull the plug on our beloved Chevy II at the end of the 1965 production year.

Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, the '65 SS bucket seats ARE different. They're slightly narrower than 63/64 and fold straight forward as opposed to the earlier SS seats that tilted at an angle. They also have a very different upholstery pattern. It's believed the seats were narrowed to clear the new, larger 1965 SS console.

Indeed, the '65 Chevy II is a unicorn....unusual, rare and unique. Considering an almost entirely new model came out in '66, you have to wonder why they didn't just do a minor refresh of the 1964. Those 'unicorn' bucket seats were only good for one year, along with the interior trim, exterior trim, front and rear ends and a modified roof line on sedans. Even the new console was a unicorn, having to be immediately changed for the following year to allow the optional 1966 a/c evaporator to be removed. Bottom line...a ton of rare, one year stuff never to be used again. Even with all the changes to the '65, it didn't sell well. A lot of buyers went to Chevelle and Mustang. Many were waiting for the Camaro. We're fortunate GM didn't pull the plug on our beloved Chevy II at the end of the 1965 production year.

Bob
I’m pretty sure sales on the 2nd gens increased significantly to the 65

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I’m pretty sure sales on the 2nd gens increased significantly to the 65
If that was true it would probably be a lot easier to find one today. By the time the 66-67 came out there was a whole lot more competition for the market Mustangs, Camaro’s, Firebirds, Chevelles, Barracudas, Valiants, etc.. I believe the ChevyII/Nova sales peaked in 63..

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would like to see pictures of a 65 bucket also. I purchased a set that was supposed to be 65 nova. Got them from a member on here. They fold straight and are narrower than a 63.

·
13,715 Posts
Not even easy to find a good picture of '65 Nova SS bucket seats on line. Found the pic below. Different covers than 63/64 SS. The chrome side trim appears to be same color as the seat, but it's a reflection off the door panel. As for the size, you can't really tell from pictures that they're narrower. Put them side by side with 63/64 and it's evident.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts