Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some measurement questions, that hopefully don’t turn into issues. My rear seat (base part) measures 53”. The back rest measures 50”. The opening where the base lays after it’s been upholstered of course, measures 57-58”. Im wondering if I have the correct rear seat? They are uncovered so my measurements are based off of the bare spring set.

If anyone knows dimensions or has their rear seat apart it would be helpful if you can confirm my measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics livestoride, but if these are for your convert I believe they are narrower. By the looks of your ruler they’re 45”.

I guess I should have clarified hard top:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
seat

Will be back in shop later , I will double check the measurements. When I was looking for a new covering all the places showed all 63 rear seats the same size . But i will look at spring side more closer.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Thug, that would be great if you can provide a measurement. 5" difference seems like quite a lot of difference to fill in but hey, I'm still new to this restoration game and learning as I go.

I'm still going to get some pics of mine and post them like SCHWABIE asked.......I know a lot of you guys can easily identify parts just by looking at them which is very impressive to me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks Thug. Looks like I'll be looking for a new rear seat. I probably have a Corvair back seat. The funny thing is livestoride's vert back seat measured 45", yours measured 58". That's a 13" difference.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
It’s not that funny.. Convertibles are narrower because the convertible top mechanism has to retract back into the space between the quarter panels and the rear passenger seat. So the back seat is significantly smaller then the standard coupe and sedan seat.
Did your mini tub your car?
Where did your rear seat come from?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I mintubed it 2". When I bought the car it wasn't running and it's been 2 years. I also don't recall pay attention to the seats and their placement.

I'm wondering if I can widen my current seat frame?

·
Registered
71 Posts
seats

Yes I guess what he said is true , mine does measure a lot smaller. I knew mine was original with the car only having 26000 miles. But sad to say it looks like the last 30 years was outside with no top .

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Yes, I mintubed it 2". When I bought the car it wasn't running and it's been 2 years. I also don't recall pay attention to the seats and their placement.

I'm wondering if I can widen my current seat frame?
I know that my upholstery guy does that when needed but you should see how well the seat frame you have fits your floor first. Finding another seat should not be that difficult.

My back seat just got finished this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pics guys. Yeah, it looks like my frames are not original. The base looks like it can be modified to fit, but the back rest looks like a doozie. The curved corners to follow the contour of the wheel wells might be a PIA to modify.

Here are some pics in case someone can guess what car they’re off of. The first two are for the base and the third is the back rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
My upholsterer said that a 53” rear seat is likely an Impala seat ‘62-64.

Based on a previous bucket seat thread conversation I recall, you might have all Impala seats front buckets and rear.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My upholsterer said that a 53” rear seat is likely an Impala seat ‘62-64.

Based on a previous bucket seat thread conversation I recall, you might have all Impala seats front buckets and rear.
that's right....you have really good memory. Well, livestoride gave me the link to a really nice set for $350.00 but they're in Iowa. I talked him down to $300 because shipping is $315.00:eek::( to SoCal.

As for the front buckets, I have a new issue (seems to be the story of my life with this darn car). The mounting holes align perfectly but the tracks are not height offset, causing them to mildly tilt towards the door. I might put some spacers under the outside tracks or cut the inners and weld them back.

BTW, your back seat came out really nice!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone tell if this is correct for 62-65 hardtop? Thanks:)
I'm no expert on seats as you can probably tell, but after seeing so many rear seats for 62-65 those do look like them. Just measure the bottom and if it's in the 57-58" they're for a HT. 45" is for vert.

Are they for sale? :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts