Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
are there any updates on this build?
Yes and no. Had to catch up financially to move forward first. In the next few weeks, the body shop is going to install all the door seals, latches, etc. to make sure everything is perfectly aligned. I believe at that point they will do the final blocking out of the car and then blow it all back apart for paint. I am stalling a bit as I don't totally know the paint scheme yet. Possibly two-tone but probably all black with the argent silver taillight cove. The black is picked out but even the argent silver is working my OCD a bit. I am considering three different shades of silver with three different sizes of metallic.

Very nice build, whats the plans for the ride? Optima / Road Course / Auto X / Cruiser?
I plan to do all that and some mile events as well. I want to enjoy the car for awhile without a cage in it so my wife and kids want to ride in it. I don't want it to be a chore to go in it so lots of sound deadening, ac, etc. I have an off road/ camping truck that sits because nobody, including myself, really wants to climb in with the 37" tires. I don't want the Nova to end up being the same.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The car has been painted for about six months but last week was the first time in my schedule where everything lined up with work, kids, etc and I was able to drive to Texas and tow it home. I had to tow it on an open trailer so it got pretty dirty and it got its first wash in probably 10-15 years. Hoping to start putting it back together and updating this thread as I go along.

My 13 year old even helped wash it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Your statement "My 13 year old even helped wash it". It's great seeing young kids interested and working on cars.

Get ready when he asked: "Dad can I borrow the Nova tonight"? :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
63 Swartz Chassi

Any updates on this build pictures on how low the car sits with the Swartz Chassi . Also what was used for inner fenders on the Swartz chassi. Anyone elses run a Swartz Chassi under there 62-65 chevy ll. Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Any updates on this build pictures on how low the car sits with the Swartz Chassi . Also what was used for inner fenders on the Swartz chassi. Anyone elses run a Swartz Chassi under there 62-65 chevy ll. Thanks

No real updates...waiting on parts, powdercoating, plating, etc. Finally got some parts back from powdercoating this week so I can put some stuff together in the next few days. Rear bumper is finally done at the chrome shop. Had them strip the chrome so I can cut it, weld it, paint it, etc. Have a lot of other parts to drop off to be stripped, etc as well.

I'm trying to do a section of the car at a time. Focusing on the rear now with trunk hinges, weatherstrip, taillights, bumper, etc. As soon as I have some real progress, I'll add some pictures.

I have a set of 18" BMW wheels on the car now and have been playing around adjusting the coilovers to try and figure out what I want as ride height. Obviously it will change with the addition of 1500 pounds of engine, trans, interior, etc.

For inner fenders, I used the Chassisworks uppers and will fabricate some lower panels out of aluminum or steel sheet that conceal everything and protect the engine compartment. I want as much room as possible as I have an NA motor going in but have parts for a TT motor in storage if I ever go that route.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Found a great, reasonably priced, local painter to do some of the trim work like bumpers, grill, etc. Took a few months for him to fit it in his schedule but it was worth the wait as the bumpers came out perfect and better than the pictures can show. Lots of parts should start coming soon. Hopefully see some good progress the next few months.

I put some BMW wheels on it to make it easier to roll around and with them all the same size and I've been playing with the ride height a bit.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hey Ben, I’m glad you guys made it to the BBQ. I have seen your build thread before but it has been a while. I do have a bit of a technical question if you know the answer or you could get back to me with it that would be great..

Do you know what the distance is between the front wheel mounting surfaces at ride height?

Your car is looking great..! Now getter done..:devil:

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Hey Ben, I missed you at the So-Cal Nova BBQ ---

(because I wasn't there !)

but , I do Have a Few Pictures of Your Nova : from last years

PHOENIX Nova BBQ ... (it may be on a trailer === BUT it Was There !)

#1 ... Very NICE NOVA ... :yes:

#2 ... after reading your 'Build' ... now, I know why he was cleaning it ... I would be also ... It Looks Cool even in This Picture :

#3 ... just call him : Ben

#4 ... all of these pic's as of : Nov 10 , 2018 .. Surprise, AZ.

Ben, VERY Nice Job ... hope you don't mind .... jim

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey Ben, I’m glad you guys made it to the BBQ. I have seen your build thread before but it has been a while. I do have a bit of a technical question if you know the answer or you could get back to me with it that would be great..

Do you know what the distance is between the front wheel mounting surfaces at ride height?

Your car is looking great..! Now getter done..:devil:
Trailer queen..:devil:

Joe- I'll get you that measurement but it will be a while as I need to make a bunch of suspension adjustments sometime in the next few weeks. I don't have my brake setup on but that shouldn't matter as the rotors are radially(?) mounted to the hub but I have to check.

Ben

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Ben, I missed you at the So-Cal Nova BBQ ---

(because I wasn't there !)

but , I do Have a Few Pictures of Your Nova : from last years

PHOENIX Nova BBQ ... (it may be on a trailer === BUT it Was There !)

#3 ... just call him : Ben

#4 ... all of these pic's as of : Nov 10 , 2018 .. Surprise, AZ.

Ben, VERY Nice Job ... hope you don't mind .... jim
Thanks Jim for posting. I barely made it to the So-Cal BBQ. We spent the morning at Brothers and CPP buying parts for my older sons C10 that we, mainly him, I'm just writing checks, are building.

Looking at these pics is motivation to lose weight which I'm down 5 pounds since these pics, and get back to work on the Nova. I'm going to list 3-4 cars this week to clear up some time and space so I can focus on the Nova.

Look closely at the front bumper. People always notice that we shaved the bumper bolts but nobody has ever noticed the front plate recess is gone.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Look closely at the front bumper. People always notice that we shaved the bumper bolts but nobody has ever noticed the front plate recess is gone.
The bumper looks great but it is painted black and surrounded by a sea of black.. I recognize and appreciate that there is a great deal of work to get the subtle nuanced changes you have made but it is subdued and stealth until the contrasting elements are in place.. That’s the thing about black or very dark colors. They tend to minimize the impact of a lot of detail as black just soaks up all the light.. The eye has to work overtime to try to see the details especially when in the company of brighter objects.. Your wheels pop against the black paint and the white trailer shows every single detail for better or worse. The black body is really hard to see any clear detail on.. I know it’s well done but it’s really visually difficult to see.. These pictures were taken on the brightest and clearest of days so there is no shortage of light. The black just consumes it and reflects very little information back to the eye.. Dirt will show very well on it though..

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Does your Paint "Reflect like This : BEN's NOVA Beautiful BLACK PAINT
sure does . Very Nice Indeed ! !

#1 ---

#2 --- under car shot --- again, very nice !

#3 --- Great day for our Phoenix BBQ , last year ……. I sure hope we do another one .
Good turn - out ---- :cool:

Hey Guys --- we all like good Pictures

later , jim

41 - 60 of 60 Posts