Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:yes:Does anyone have pictures of the neutral safety switch set up to their 63 SS. I'm completely lost on how to hook it up to my car. A friend told me I need an additional shifting rod. Please send LOTS of pictures!! PLEASE HELP:(

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
switch

Type in 1963 neutral safety switch in the blank next to the SEARCH box at the top of every page when you log in.
You will see your thread and just a few below under 63 neutral safety switch you will find a number of pictures and a GM manual picture of the required parts.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
As an alternative to the original, I fabbed a bracket and used a common push-button switch that the shift rod butts up against thus closing the circuit when the shifter is in the park position -

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
As an alternative to the original, I fabbed a bracket and used a common push-button switch that the shift rod butts up against thus closing the circuit when the shifter is in the park position
Nice save...and probably about 1/10 of the cost of the original parts. Who needs the starter in neutral anyway?

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Nice save...and probably about 1/10 of the cost of the original parts. Who needs the starter in neutral anyway?
Thank You Pat. It's been in the car for over a year with no issue/s.
Still occasionally trying to come up with a solution to a reverse light switch using basically the same arrangement, but haven't come up with anything yet.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
:yes:Does anyone have pictures of the neutral safety switch set up to their 63 SS. I'm completely lost on how to hook it up to my car. A friend told me I need an additional shifting rod. Please send LOTS of pictures!! PLEASE HELP:(
Check out the attached link, Post #4. Keep in mind that the bracket was bent but this shows the mounting location of the drivers side of the transmission. Yes you will need another shift arm. I don't have one to take a picture of.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...=1+Attachment(s)+63+powerglide+neutral+safety

I hope this helps.

:ragtop:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
As an alternative to the original, I fabbed a bracket and used a common push-button switch that the shift rod butts up against thus closing the circuit when the shifter is in the park position -

The dangerous part about this configuration is...... you cannot start the vehicle in neutral.

If you have an engine shut off as you were cruising down the road how would you start it without coming to a complete stop?

Question for you knowledgeable guys.....

WILL HE BE ABLE TO START HIS CAR WITHOUT PUTTING IN PARK?

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
The dangerous part about this configuration is...... you cannot start the vehicle in neutral.

If you have an engine shut off as you were cruising down the road how would you start it without coming to a complete stop?

Question for you knowledgeable guys.....

WILL HE BE ABLE TO START HIS CAR WITHOUT PUTTING IN PARK?

I'm unable to understand why this would be concidered dangerous (???) Furthermore, I can't recall ever putting an automatic transmission into neutral to start the vehicle. Any new car is started in park, why would one wish to place the car in neutral to do so ??? (particularly if on an incline)
My car only starts in park & I fully intend to keep it that way.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'm unable to understand why this would be concidered dangerous (???) Furthermore, I can't recall ever putting an automatic transmission into neutral to start the vehicle. Any new car is started in park, why would one wish to place the car in neutral to do so ??? (particularly if on an incline)
My car only starts in park & I fully intend to keep it that way.

It can be dangerous if you stalled while cruising. Normally you can put it in neutral and restart. The car previously mentioned on this forum would have to come to a complete stop.

By the way....your 63 powerglide should push start in drive!!!

That was a trick question...

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
It can be dangerous if you stalled while cruising. Normally you can put it in neutral and restart. The car previously mentioned on this forum would have to come to a complete stop.

By the way....your 63 powerglide should push start in drive!!!

That was a trick question...
I could care less. :turn:

·
Registered
505 Posts
repairing a non working sw is easy i have some pictures of the rod that can be made if you don't want to buy a new one..
if you find a used sw make sure you take a meter and check that it is working
a working one will cost anywhere from $100 to $300
non working should be $50
they are easy to take apart and fix, there is nothing inside that will spring out at you (just don't turn it upside down)

I'm certainly open to any ideas that will work with a factory shifter...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts