Chevy Nova Forum banner
241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Few more parts installed. Reproduction blinker extensions fit nicely and look great. Also cleaned, detailed and repainted the trunk emblem. Probably the nicest original piece I've ever had. Not NOS but damn nice.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
1,004 Posts
I just looked back to when your first post was dated. This has been quite a journey. Congratulations. It looks amazing !!

·
Registered
63 Nova SS
8 Posts
Wonderful job! I was heartbroken when you said it was for sale! I'm just starting my 63 SS rebuild. You've got great info on here! Thanx for sharing the journey. Do you have a line on any low backed bucket seats? I've had this car and carried it with me since I turned 18(53 now) I've lost parts along the way...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Wonderful job! I was heartbroken when you said it was for sale! I'm just starting my 63 SS rebuild. You've got great info on here! Thanx for sharing the journey. Do you have a line on any low backed bucket seats? I've had this car and carried it with me since I turned 18(53 now) I've lost parts along the way...
Sorry, no idea on where to get buckets. They're hard to find.

·
Registered
63 SS
1,016 Posts
Looks really nice!!
Can you please provide any tips and tricks to painting the rear molding?? Procedure, what kind of paint, is primer needed??
I tried painting mine when it got rechromed and it looked like doodoo, so I removed the paint.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Looks really nice!!
Can you please provide any tips and tricks to painting the rear molding?? Procedure, what kind of paint, is primer needed??
I tried painting mine when it got rechromed and it looked like doodoo, so I removed the paint.
Lots of patience masking the part, then several coats of SEM trim black spray paint. I've never been happy with brushing the insert, always spray for even coat

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Installing New reproduction rocker panels. They aren't painted in the grooves so I had to tape and paint, what a pain in the ass. Found my nicest set of rocker brackets and painted the backs so they won't rust against the body. Installation tomorrow.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
New window cranks and the rocker panel brackets installed. All the holes were welded shut during painting so I had to measure everything out before drilling through new paint. I hate that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 · (Edited)
Well, two steps forward, 10 steps back. The day before Father's Day I tried to install the new carpet. I was on the driveway and did not chock the car. I was planning on installing the restored e-brake assy after carpet because I thought it would be easier. Pulled the trans out of park while moving the carpet and it rolled back into my son's truck, then into the street. You've probably seen it on YouTube because my son licensed the Ring video to viral hog and is making money off it. LOL

It sucked!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
The top hinge broke, the bottom hinge is mangled and the door is buckled along with the trim. Looks like the fender and rockers are OK but scratched. I have Hagarty and am working with them to get it fixed but stupid hurts. Fortunately, no-one was hurt and I didn't damage any other vehicles. I hope the body shop can save the door because it was rust free, but I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
While I am waiting for Hagarty to sort out the claim, I decided to install the parking brake cables. Duh. I got all new cables from Inline Tube.

I also wanted to drop the car a little in the back because it sat a little over 2 inches higher in the back than the front. I got a 2 inch lowering kit, machined 1/2 inches off the blocks and installed. I think its close to right on and now the rear sits about 3/4 of an inch above the front. I'll take pics when the car is back on the street.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm also sorry to hear about damaging your car. I would hope Hagerty has you covered. Thanks for posting your progress. Your car looks awesome. I didn't realize I need to have those brackets behind the front hood molding. Glad you posted that. Now I need to find some!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw that video and was just sick about it. It could have been much worse. So glad you weren't hurt or worse!!

241 - 260 of 270 Posts