Chevy Nova Forum banner

201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I had my son follow me close in his car all the way to the alignment shop. Over 12 miles, furthest the car has ever traveled on its own for probably 30 years.

The alignment guys let me go down in the pit for some pics.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 · (Edited)
The car ran great, but the carb needs lots of tuning.

No big leaks, but I think the input shaft seal on the Powerglide is leaking, so the trans will probably have to come out. Lot of work to replace a $5 seal I should have replaced before I installed the damn thing. Oh well, making progress.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks good. Where did you go to get the alignment? I'm a little leary on letting any of the big name store's touching my 66. I need to get mine done.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Wogs64SS, the bumpers are reproduction. Rechromed originals would probably have turned out nicer, but these were a good option for my build.

Aaronb, I had Les Schwab align it. The guys were very professional and took great care of the car. A lot of places (Big O) don't have the early Nova's in their computer and I didn't know of any local speciality alignment shops that were open to fit my schedule or close enough to get to with my tires squealing above 20 mph.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Time to get the car street legal now with lights and blinkers.

Painted column parts with new blinker switch.

Reproduction front to rear wiring harness.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 · (Edited)
Two steps forward, one step back, Damn.

After driving the car for a bit I noticed a small leak coming from the front of the trans. I think its the trans input seal so the whole thing is coming out of the car to replace a $5 dollar seal I should have replaced before I installed it the first time.

Spent the better part of the Memorial Day weekend working on it but the trans is back in and I was able to work on some of the linkage, vacuum lines and found some bolts I forgot to install.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 · (Edited)
Spent the weekend wrapping up the trans install. Everything works great! No leaks or any other issues.

However, I got tired of fighting the neutral safety switch with the stock shifter so I ordered a new shifter from Shiftworks. It's awesome!!! Bolts into the stock location and the neutral safety switch and reverse light switch are built in. I fabbed the stock wiring onto the Shiftworks wiring and installed it.

Here's the stock photo:

And what I got:

Here's the stock shifter installed.

Installed on the hump. I used countersunk bolts so I can install the stock seal and ring.

And installed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
The shift works shifter is a GREAT option. It fits nice, looks stock and the neutral safety switch is built in. I've been driving it all weekend and it works great,

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Then installed the reproduction blinker assemblies and bezels. I've been really happy with all the reproduction parts I've installed in the car so far. So nice to have aftermarket support, finally.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
And a gratuitous engine shot, just cause I think it looks so good! The vacuum lines, hot leads and other bits and pieces are all installed. Still need to tune the engine, but it runs well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 · (Edited)
Here's pics of the shifter installed and adjusted. I used the rope seal to seal around the edges like the factory did to stop hot air and water. The handle hits the side of the seat just like original, LOL.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
There were some paint imperfections I wasn't happy with so I took the car to a local shop to have them address several issues. They fixed the few bad spots, aligned the doors, hood, fenders and trunk and painted the trunk. Also buffed and detailed the entire car. I'm very happy with the results.

The trunk looks great and we added a little Red to accent the factory Grey and Black.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Now, to finish the trunk area. New weatherstripping, and reproduction emblems. I didn't like the speed nuts on the trunk emblem so I threaded the posts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
NOW to the FUN stuff!! I had all the side trim professionally polished and painted.

Luckily, I've hoarded plenty of really nice used clips.

And, WOW, it looks and fits great.

201 - 220 of 246 Posts