Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SS is back from paint and the reassembly begins.
With all the 63 SS cars that have been restored, has anyone found a carpet that fits the floor-shift hump correctly? I know this has been talked about on here but my search hasn't shown me a definitive answer.
I'm looking at ACC Carpet number 24982 (1962-1967 chevy II, 2dr, auto, bucket seat with console, factory floor shift) but the picture on their website doesn't look like my floor. The carpet hump looks too long. Everything in their description sounds right except the years, I know the later humps weren't the same as 63. Please help!
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Vendor
2,192 Posts
With the 1962 - 67 cars I am not sure how many carpet manufacturers are actually left. Most carpet we see is ACC or vendor rebranded ACC. Trim Parts bought PUI then sold the carpet "division" to ACC about 5 years ago. That removed one of the large brands of carpet from the market.

ACC is normally fine. A lot of cars from the period are running it. We installed the carpet kit in a '64 SS about two years ago with no abnormal issues. None of the carpet fits exact, but materials and manufacturing are not the same as back in the '60s (which ACC admits). The website picture easily could be incorrect.

Love the color combo. What exact color is the car?

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I have the same car and I got the ACC carpet many years ago so things might not be the same. In general it was a good fit and had ample amount for the kick panel area. The hump area is tricky and requires lots of cutting for a custom fit. I used a soldering gun with a straight tip for all the screw holes. Things to consider: lay the carper out for a few days in the sun or at room temperature. Always measure twice before cutting. If you add sound deadener and extra padding it will change the overall shape slightly so keep that in mine, I am sure you have done this before, but I hope it will benefit others. Those are nice looking deuces.

·
Vendor
2,192 Posts
What jaynova said is basically still the case. Going to take some work to get it in and looking right, but it is doable.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i got mine (ACC, listed for a 4 speed rather than auto) probably three years ago, and there was just no way to make it look good, only okay, as it is simply not molded to the hump properly. it basically creased as if made for a larger hump. tried to trim material, and work the folds around. it got better in some spots, but it just ended up moving the fold or crease to the opposite end of the hump--the material has nowhere to go.

a bummer they couldn't take the time to fine-tune it after taking time to put a bulge there...still beats looking at the epoxy painted floor, though.

-Rusty

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Unless someone comes up with something they know fits well, I guess I'll go with the 24982 ACC. I'll report back how it fits.
The car has two Ford truck colors. Iconic Silver and the roof is Magnetic Metallic.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
When I installed the ACC carpet in my 65 one thing I did was place steel weights in various areas to help the carpet take shape of the floor area and this seemed to help quite a bit.
I remember years ago I installed ACC carpet in my 68 Camaro and I do not remember it being as much work but I guess I was also younger then lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts