Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes you can put a S10 rear with little work,just mew perches and a conversion u joint. Why do you want a 7.5" rear? If you are running anything over a 300hp/380tq I'd look in a different direction, with that being said, I have a 7.5" out of a 78 El Camino:eek: in the wife 62, but I "only" have a 230 in it.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Do a search on the site...

rear ends
9 inch

try those search words, there are other words but they escape me right now...

This question has been askes many times with lots of answers...

Mark

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i have a 63 wagon with a stump pullin 194 but want to upgrade the wheels and tires.
thanks
todd
You should be fine. I like the 7.5, it is a more efficient rear than most other rears. With a sixer I think that it makes a great rear. I have a s10 blazer frame in my back yard left over from another project I can measure and get you some dimension if you need. Oh yeah the S10 2wd are much narrower that the S10 4x4 rears, the 4x4 are about the same width but I'l have to remeasure to be sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It is a super simple swap and I have found that the 7.5 will take way more than what some give it credit for. I am currently building a 63 for a member here and I used a 1991 2WD rearend with and Auburn Posi and a Motive Gear 3.08. I only moved the rear of the springs in and left the front leaf mounts alone. With slight modification the factory U-bolt/shock mount plates will work and the end result is that a 15x8 with 3 3/4" backspace fits great. A 27" or so tire will clear fine as well in the 225/235 range.

The wheel/tire shown is a 15x7 with 3 3/4" backspace and a 215/65 tire but thats all the owner wanted back there. There is 1" to the inside at the sidewall and 2.5" to the outside at the sidewall.

I also removed the bumpstops form the outside of the frame and plated the outside of the frame with 1/4" steel.

·
Registered
362 Posts
ALSO make sure you get a first gen 1982-1993 rear 2wd only because from 1994 up the 2wd even is a little wider.

·
Registered
247 Posts
S10 2WD's are 54" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The Nova 8.2 out of my 64 was 57". I have one I bought out of a front wrecked 03 GMC S15. It has 3:42"s and a Gov Lock with drum brakes.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
S10 2WD's are 54" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The Nova 8.2 out of my 64 was 57". I have one I bought out of a front wrecked 03 GMC S15. It has 3:42"s and a Gov Lock with drum brakes.

Scott
So are you saying that a rear end out of a 03 GMC S15 is 3 inches shorter than the 8.2 rear end out of a 64?

and what's a Gov lock? is that GM's G80 posi?

just trying to figure all of this out

Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
s-10 8.6 ?

any one know if they made a 2 wheel drive or non Zr2 (wider track with ) s10 or gmc with a 8.6 . I know my 2002 gmc with the zr2 package has a 8.6 but like I said that has a wider track width than a standard s10. the 8.6 (basicly a 8.5 with 31 spline axel's in a real strong rear end. would be a great swap if they made the nerower version would be interesting to see how wide theZR2 one is also . mine also has rear disc break's Joel

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
any one know if they made a 2 wheel drive or non Zr2 (wider track with ) s10 or gmc with a 8.6 . I know my 2002 gmc with the zr2 package has a 8.6 but like I said that has a wider track width than a standard s10. the 8.6 (basicly a 8.5 with 31 spline axel's in a real strong rear end. would be a great swap if they made the nerower version would be interesting to see how wide theZR2 one is also . mine also has rear disc break's Joel

I had a potential customer tell me that the ZR2 also came with a posi and that it was the same width as the nova........he stated that he has put these in many Nova's............how many I don't know but, he was pretty excited to tell me about it. Sounds like good information to me!

·
Registered
247 Posts
So are you saying that a rear end out of a 03 GMC S15 is 3 inches shorter than the 8.2 rear end out of a 64?

and what's a Gov lock? is that GM's G80 posi?

just trying to figure all of this out

Mark
Yes it is shorter by 1.5" on each side. The 2 wheel drive S truck rears are all 54". That is a good thing if you are trying to run bigger wheels and tires. Yes a Gov Lock is the G80 code and is a limited slip differential. Some are drums and some are disc. Try this for info

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/rear-axle-ratio-rpo-12655/

·
Registered
247 Posts
What is a 8.6? I have a rear end which came out from under a ZR2 which is a 8.5. It does have 31 spline axles. It measured 60" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface if I remember right. It also has disc brakes as I think they all do. Mine was narrowed to 51". It has an Auburn posi in it and 3.73's. When I ordered a new ring and pinion it was for a 8.5.

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is a 8.6? I have a rear end which came out from under a ZR2 which is a 8.5. It does have 31 spline axles. It measured 60" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface if I remember right. It also has disc brakes as I think they all do. Mine was narrowed to 51". It has an Auburn posi in it and 3.73's. When I ordered a new ring and pinion it was for a 8.5.

Scott
an 8.6 and 8.5 are the same as far as I know except the 31 spline axel in the 8.6 so the spider gears would be diferent as well. I think carier and gears are the same as 8.5. I noticed the disc set up seamed to be what realy widend the thing , wonder if drum's off a 8.5 could go on one and help the width. thing? I know where a housing is may have to deal the guy out of it and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
anyone know if the mid 90's S10 rear ends are the same width as the mid 2000's? 54inches? sounds like most guys use the 90's. I found a 2004 for $400 complete with disk brakes and need to know if it will work under a mini tubbed 65.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a 92 s-10 collecting dust in my driveway, my 62 has a bone stock rear end,,,,is it worth me looking into swapping the s-10 rear into the nova,,,,
after all its free:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
anyone know if the mid 90's S10 rear ends are the same width as the mid 2000's? 54inches? sounds like most guys use the 90's. I found a 2004 for $400 complete with disk brakes and need to know if it will work under a mini tubbed 65.
Get out the tape and see

i have a 92 s-10 collecting dust in my driveway, my 62 has a bone stock rear end,,,,is it worth me looking into swapping the s-10 rear into the nova,,,,
after all its free:)
Yes it is as long as you are not trying to add lots of HP to the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
8.6 carier's vs 8.5

an 8.6 and 8.5 are the same as far as I know except the 31 spline axel in the 8.6 so the spider gears would be diferent as well. I think carier and gears are the same as 8.5. I noticed the disc set up seamed to be what realy widend the thing , wonder if drum's off a 8.5 could go on one and help the width. thing? I know where a housing is may have to deal the guy out of it and see what I can come up with.
Did a little compairing on cariers the axel's on the 8.6 are way biger than a 8.5 carier the axel will not even fit though the carier to get even close to the spider gears. I do have a posi gov loc for a 8.6 with low miles 3 series gears go on it if any one is interested I am in north Idaho Joel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts