Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put a rearend under my 63 2dr and want some feed back on what is easy on the budget to install. I see lots of guys using S-10 rearends, what year of S-10 (assuming 4.3Liter)? Any modifications needed? any help appreciated!

·
4,544 Posts
Easiest is a 64-67 chevyII/nova rearend, direct bolt in and you get 5 lug.

Miles

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can find a ZR2 rear end with a locker and disc brakes. Issue with it you'll need to narrow it and purchase other axles.

You can find 7.5 rear ends, but wont come with posi and no disc brakes. This is a straight swap besides having to remove the coil bucket and weld some perches. You should be able to find at local junkyard for less then $300

I went with a ZR2(found dirt cheap). Narrowed to 54.5 (7.5 rear length). 30 splines axles and Eaton posi for roughly $2000.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Explorer 8.8

I did the Ford 8.8 from an Explorer in my '64 about 10 years ago. They are plentiful (and dirt cheap) in junk yards and if you get one from a 4x4 they will come with disc brakes, 3.73 gears, posi, and 31-spline axles. They are pretty bullet-proof and there is a ton of aftermarket support for them.

These videos shows what is necessary to modify one to fit:

Any competent rear-end shop could do it for you though. I bought mine for $250 w/ an extra short axle, and paid another $300 it modified to drop in the car. Still holding together.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have a housing, I rebuilt mine with new everything including moser axles new Posi cap studs and a girdle for about $1300. I watched a video, took my time and it came out perfect.

It's not hard, try building it yourself. I am glad I did and now my buddies are hitting me up to do theirs.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I know this may be blasphemous but are any Toyota pickup rear ends swap worthy? There are lots of them around, a half or 3/4 ton pickup rear is usually an upgrade over a passenger car rear.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know this may be blasphemous but are any Toyota pickup rear ends swap worthy? There are lots of them around, a half or 3/4 ton pickup rear is usually an upgrade over a passenger car rear.
None are gonna be a direct bolt in. They are gonna require modification to make fit. They don't have the aftermarket support that other swap candidates have, so getting axles and the other parts you need to make it work is gonna be difficult if not impossible. There are plenty of Chevy and Ford rear end which are much better candidates because of dimensions and parts availability, many of which are readily available and cheap (like the explorer 8.8 I mentioned). Why try to reinvent the wheel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts