Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We stuffed 235 tires out back on our 63 and the tires just barely rub the outer wheel housing. They seem to hit an area that is above the fender lip. I feel an area like its an inch wide running the length of the wheel housing. Maybe it was for stiffening?

Has anyone ever massaged this area flat? How did you go about doing it?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the backspacing on the wheels is incorrect.

move it inwards, towards the leaf with the properly backspaced wheels and no massaging is needed...

if discs are planned for future upgrades, better to get the correct wheels now instead of having to do it three times...
discs move the wheels out further. ;)

measure & plan once, buy once. ;)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
baseball bat

Someone on here May tell you don't do it . But I had that trought also on my blue car (65) I took a old baseball bat stuck between tire & fenderwell & rolled the Car slowly ,All this did was bend the lip in. I have heard of people cutting the lip off .But I think the baseball will do what you want

. Later Larry Mc

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
that's something to be extremely careful with... it's possible to bow out the wheel openings, basically damaging your quarter panels.

best way isn't always free... buy a pair of properly fitting wheels and be done with it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a body guy look at it closer and it appears that the PO had bodywork done, but they did not catch that the wheel wells curve inward. He thinks that if they were where they should be we wouldn't be rubbing.

the Flyer, the BS is not incorrect. We measured, and researched on here to see what people were running before buying. I have also talked with folks at the nova nats and seen this tire size quite a bit. the work being done wont damage anything, just correct it.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
so if the body is incorrect i'd think it needs to be fixed properly, not with a bat or a different set of wheels should be used..

your car, up to you... good luck. ;)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
First gens have a roll in the inner fender to clear the roll in the outer fender just above the lip. The inner fender can be cut loose from the angle above the lip and moved outward with a considerable amount of gentle hammerwork then re-welded (yes the heat wil likely blister the paint on your outer panel). Be carefull when hammering and don't go so far that the inner and outer skins touch. I was able to pick up an additional 3/8" to 1/2" each side by doing this. That took care of the rubbing except when cornering agressively. The cure for that was builbing a Watts link to keep the rear end centered under the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if the body is incorrect i'd think it needs to be fixed properly, not with a bat or a different set of wheels should be used..

your car, up to you... good luck. ;)
I never planned on using a bat...The body shop is doing it right...

We are running 235/60/15's on a 4.5" BS....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have the same tire size and BS on my car with no rubbing.

If you measure very carefully you will discover that the rear end may not be exactly centred (as was the case with mine) which would cause one wheel to be closer to the lip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts