Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working on putting 3 leaf springs in, the existing t bolts are too short.
how to i get them out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are talking about the T bolts attached to the rearend, all you do is pound them out with a hammer and replace them with longer ones or U-Bolts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
I drove mine out of the top plates with a hammer. They were just stuck due to rust and popped right out. I bought these for my Detroit multi-leaf spring for my '65:

https://gmclassics.com/shop/?fwp_searchwp=27001-2&fwp_makes=chevrolet&fwp_models=nova

Mine have not been installed yet but I've read where there is a problem with the upper and lower plates warping when you tighten down on the T-Bolts. There is a thread here about that so do a "Search" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I drove mine out of the top plates with a hammer. They were just stuck due to rust and popped right out. I bought these for my Detroit multi-leaf spring for my '65:

https://gmclassics.com/shop/?fwp_searchwp=27001-2&fwp_makes=chevrolet&fwp_models=nova

Mine have not been installed yet but I've read where there is a problem with the upper and lower plates warping when you tighten down on the T-Bolts. There is a thread here about that so do a "Search" and you'll see what I mean.
Tighten them down with all the slack out, but not too tight. Measure the side gap and put some spacers in that are 1/4" or a little less than the gap is so you know they are good and tight, but not enough to bend the plates too much.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
That's a great idea. I was thinking maybe using some steel pipe slipped over the bolts between the plates. Not to hijack this thread but I think this is a good place to discuss the rubber pads. Install new ones or leave them out?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
That's a great idea. I was thinking maybe using some steel pipe slipped over the bolts between the plates. Not to hijack this thread but I think this is a good place to discuss the rubber pads. Install new ones or leave them out?

Can use bushings, but better/neater just to use a steel bar stock or plate on each side with the two holes drilled in them.

I run mine without the rubber pads, but I bought the spacers from Calvert to run their split monos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts