Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few things on my car that I could have saved was butchered by yours truly today. The passenger side is still in tact, so perhaps I can still save some cash. I'm curious if anyone has any tips on removing the aluminum trim that wraps around the windows on a 63?

Also, any tips on removing the windshield and rear window trim would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a trim tool, to remove the snap on moulding off my convertible, i suggest the same, harbor freight sells a set for five bucks. Then aside from asking questions online, hit up a local body shop or guy and just ask them, usually they will tell you how to do it, or give you a hint unless they want to be buttholes about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to remove the side trim with fairly little damage, though I noticed someone put "custom" mounting screws versus the snaps that came originally. Made for a very frustrating afternoon.

As for the window trim, I did in fact have a body shop buddy of mine stop by earlier, but he really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (as far as I know, you use a screw driver/block of wood and work it up and out)... But here's to hoping that there was an easier or less time consuming way. And possibly less damaging, too.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The tool to remove the rear window trim resembles a bent scratch awl. It's used to get under and release the clips that hold the lip of the stainless molding. A screwdriver will not do it without damage. As for the front, the trim is inset into the the gasket's channel. It can be removed with a screwdriver, but be really careful not to bugger it up. I found it easier to cut the gasket with a razor knife and then remove the window and gasket together. I then, removed the stainless trim.

·
Registered
788 Posts
One of the few things on my car that I could have saved was butchered by yours truly today. The passenger side is still in tact, so perhaps I can still save some cash. I'm curious if anyone has any tips on removing the aluminum trim that wraps around the windows on a 63?

Also, any tips on removing the windshield and rear window trim would be appreciated as well.
Well, let's see. What trim are you talking about? First, I don't know of any aluminum trim that wraps around the windows of a 63. If you refer to the front winshield, the stainless steel trim comes off easily after you remove the winshield from the car buy either cutting the lip from the inside of the pinchweld or if your gasket is flexible enough by pulling it over the pinchweld. If you refer to the backglass, it is removed with a trim clip tool gently sliding between the clip and the body and gently tugging straight up.

Now if you mean the chrome edge of the hardtop door glass, you must drive this off with a wood piece or something similar by striking it while holding the window.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts