Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 1963 Nova was shooting out oil of the dipstick and PCV breathers, & drove it like this for 2 years until I did a compression test and was between 70-100 on all the cylinders. Rebuild Time. This all started 2 years ago so if you want to see part one that led up to this check out here:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235945

Here is picture before disassembly. Note all the oil on the valve cover. I even installed oil catch can and put it on the oil dipstick.

Valve Cover off

Cylinder Head Off

Cylinder Shots

Water Pump Off, Timing Cover Off, Flywheel, Alternator Off

Cylinder Head Dismantling

Out she goes!

On the Engine Stand Oil Pan pulled

Pistons and Rings Out

Crankshaft Out

Camshaft Out

Old Flywheel is Toast

Time to send the block out to get Bored, Cleaned, and 0 Decked. I'll work on the head in the meantime. Dismantling complete.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Head work to be installed:

1.84 1.6 SS Valves, Performance Springs, Teflon Seals, Hardened Exhaust Seats, Lump Port Kit, Port/Polish.

Boss Bolts cut out.

LIttle bit of port/polish action

Lump Ports fitted in

Head bolt Hole milled out and tapped and plugged

Head Plug threaded, grinding smooth, and lump port secure with screw on bottom

Head Cleaned ready for install

Heads machined to accept new teflon seals.

New Valves Complete

Valve Seals and Springs installed

Lump port bolted in through bottom then screw grounded off. After I blended the transition with JB Weld.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine work to be done:
Grinded all rough casting on inside, Bored .040 over, Line Bore, 0 deck, Install flatop 307 V8 pistons,Install Thrifty Cam from 12bolt, Grind Crankshaft, all new seals, oil pan gasket, new timing gears. New freeze plugs, etc.

Engine block back, painting it up

Camshaft Build

Flattop v8 307 pistons installed with new moly rings.

Inspection Plates on

Ready for Oil pan

Putting the oil pan on, gotta love doing it outside of the car.

Oil Pan on

Torquing the head on near water pump and lump ports only went to 85. did the torq in 3 step intervals. I Use sharpie to write on head bolts so i know what order to torque.

Cylinder Head on with valve cover sitting on to check it out.

Next up Heads and Intake

Removed threaded dowels on head before the install - USE PB BLASTER.

4 Barrel Offenhauser Intake/12bolt Cast Iron Heads overlap. Had to grind away a bit to make the intake fit. Afterwards had to use a micrometer and grind the exhaust down enough to clamp evenly because it was .04" thicker than the intake.

Fitted on Roller Rockers, need to paint the head. Had to Change Pushrods

Pushrod info. I went to a 10" pushrod.

Pushrod length vs. geometry with Roller Rockers Installed

Custom Pushrods from Push Brothers. They are SUPER GREAT to work with.

Head Installed, Roller Rockers, Pushrods, Exhaust, Intake, Holley 4160 600cfm Vac Secondaries. Now to install new Pedal and Lokar Cable.

Great picture after getting new Motor mounts installed, You can see all the Lump Ports blended in.

Lokar Cable Setup, Tight fit with the big brake booster. and 68 Nova pedal installed, Used the metal bracket with the old setup so it's all metal.

Valve Cover Baffle Install, Drilled tapped, locktited, then jbwelded the screws popping through the top of valve cover. When i find someone I'll get it tig'd in.

All built up ready to drop in.

Engine Break in Oil. Primed and oil coming out of all rockers.

All put back together. 12 Degree Advanced, 34 Degrees at 3k RPM. 16inchs Vac at Idle 9inches in Drive. First drive, Little bit of oil out the dipstick. ARGH! found out my PCV valve (Literally the only thing that hadn't been replaced) wasn't rattling, and was stuck shut DOH! Next had to swap my power valve to a #45. Going to test drive next weekend then go put exhaust on it. X Pipe with Dual 2 1/4" pipes and Cherrybomb 30" glass packs. Right now the Shorty open headers is insanely loud.

More to come when I get exhaust in, and test drive again. May need to change the squirters. I am on a #31.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Joe ...

Great post with all those "250 - 6" pictures , and "Lump - port" install.

I like your valve - cover baffel ----------------- go figure ... :devil:

then, I want too see all your Exhaust pipe & muffler install pictures.

(any part numbers / vendor info ...... I need two mufflers for my 'split-manifolds) ,please . .... just when-ever you get them.

Then, your intake / exhaust mounting (cut-outs around OFFY intake mounts) .... ARE .... "priceless" ... thank you. (I saw those at the 'Link' you sent to me).

:good post: ... :cool pics: ... keep those pictures comming ... :salute:

thank you ... jim

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
Love the pictures and where you went on the rebuild. You took a whole lot of time documenting the process and made a nice, sequential set of pictures for guys who might be going through the process. The picture captions were helpful, too, and it looks like the Chevy 6 we'd all like to build sometime.

Great thread, great pictures, and super helpful. Thanks for taking the time!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for all the great pics. How's it run now?

I got the best results on my 250 by turning my carb 90 degrees so that the secondaries were closest to the fender.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went from 140-150 hp to like 250-275hp and the difference is insane. Havent ran it too much with shorty open headers because my neighbors might be upset. Its also currently 110F today. exhaust coming next week or so and then we will really see how she flys.

I wanted to turn the carb sideways but didnt wanna deal with all the BS in figuring out cabling and this was straight forward. Got pics of your cable setup? Also want to run water lines to my intake to help heat it up.

What size squiters, power valve, carb you running?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Went from 140-150 hp to like 250-275hp and the difference is insane. Havent ran it too much with shorty open headers because my neighbors might be upset. Its also currently 110F today. exhaust coming next week or so and then we will really see how she flys.

I wanted to turn the carb sideways but didnt wanna deal with all the BS in figuring out cabling and this was straight forward. Got pics of your cable setup? Also want to run water lines to my intake to help heat it up.

What size squiters, power valve, carb you running?

Joe ....

Who are you talking too .... just asking ? ........ jim

and, I like going from 140 -150 hp to 250 hp .... that , i'd like too do for mine .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
and, for those that want to / or having trouble with "theycallmelarmie's " pictures being way too BIG .... don't go away .... just go take a 'pit-stop' and the Pictures WILL LOAD CORRECTLY ...

just takes a minute ... THEY (pictures) DO WORK .... and, are very Good Photo's for a 250 engine.

once the pictures load --- then, you can 'click - on - the - top - bar : if you need a closer look .

Thank you .... and, now back to-our regularly scheduled program ... lol

just FYI .... jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here are pictures of the exhaust in, man oh man it sounds awesome. It also runs way better with it on, the bog went down a bit.
Just put in the 50cc Accelerator Pump and Cam this morning. New nozzles come in Monday. If these don't fix it next I am looking at the jets.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hi Joe . . . . . I saw some pics over on "chevynovanation" of your car . I was over there looking for that '67 Nova with the ' Turbo 250 motor, with the 'FiTech injection' . . . very cool .

Just checking too see if you got everything working good . I DID go & buy that ' DF - 17 ' adjustable pcv valve , and have it installed . . . going good .

So, I sure hope you have a great 2020 . . . . . . later , jim

ps. - - Thank you for 'Posting up' your Exhaust Pipes & Mufflers .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts