Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this car in pieces and spent a year restoring it. It originally was a 6 cylinder with a 3 speed on the column. I put a 350HP 350 with a TH350 in it.
I removed the 5/16" sending unit and installed a new 3/8" and ran new 3/8" hard line all of the way to the Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump. I covered all of the fuel lines where they go next to the headers, so I don't think there is any possibility of vapor lock.

When the temp. is over about 80 deg. F, it revs fine in 1st gear, but seems to run out of fuel in 2nd gear and starts to surge and stops pulling which continues into 3rd gear. If it is cold out, this car runs fine through all 3 gears...pulling HARD all the way to 5500 RPM.

The engine is a .030 1971 350 with 882 heads 1.94 intake, 1.50 exhaust 76cc chamber. Flat-top TRW pistons. Comp cams XE268H cam. Edelbrock Performer RPM, 750 Edelbrock carb. Shortie headers with 2 1/2" exhaust. 34 deg. of total timing...MSD 6A ignition(Tried different timing). It has a new Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump with 3/8 line all the way to the tank with a new 3/8" sending unit.

I have had the carb apart several times and adjusted the floats, checked filters, just about everything I can think of. I haven't tried to re-jet yet because the spark plug reading looks good.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? might want to see if fuel pressure is dropping while it's hot. If the pressure is fine ,even when hot. the issue might be with the carb. Good luck trouble shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel pressure

I don't have one, but I guess I really need to know IF there is fuel pressure before I proceed. I had a stock chevy fuel pump on it and bought a new Edelbrock pump a couple of weeks ago assuming that it was a fuel pressure problem, but there was no change at all. I will order a gauge setup today.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
you might try ,,

i'd say you have a fuel pump problem , but , you might run 2 fuel filters in parallel, this would give you some added fuel volume at pressure and should reduce the pressure differential accross the filters

1 - 4 of 4 Posts