Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Long time lurker here, named Don. I'm converting my 63 chevy ii hardtop from column shift powerglide to a muncie m22 with floor mounted hump/boot. I think the problem I'm having is related to the tailhousing, but not 100% sure. Here are the problems I'm observing;

1. Tail housing is hitting tunnel towards/at the end of housing. I can install trans mount/crossmember with a floor jack pushing trans tailhousing up into tunnel (can barely install crossmember bolts on chassis). I tried both the stock crossmember and a Speedway unit (62-67 for th350, powerglide, 3&4 speed manual).

2. Can't install hurst shifter install kit plate, due to hitting tunnel and too far back from hole.

3. Shifter mounting location appears to be about 4-5 inches too far back from shifter hump hole (welded hump in place myself. It can't be located forward or backward, because of grooves. So I assume that hole is in correct location.

Parts:
1. M22 case (no part number marked on case. But it is a 7 bolt side cover). 10 spline input.
2. Tail housing #3857584 (passenger side speedo, 27 spline)
3. Hurst shifter #3917308
4. Hurst Shifter install kit #3733163

I'm at a loss of what else could be the problem. But the posts I could find seems to indicate that I have the right tailhousing. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What engine is in the car and what bellhousing are you using? according to the grooves in the floor pan the shifter hump seems to be installed in the correct location but I can see through the hole that the mounting holes for the shifter bracket are too far towards the rear of the car. Maybe you can also measure from the end of your tail shaft to the face of the yoke on the differential. I just had to do this recently to get a new drive shaft made. I want to say I was about 55 and a half inches. I can measure again just to be sure and I can also take some pictures similar to what you have when i get the chance.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I swapped my PG to a Stick and I had no issues But My PG was on the floor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What engine is in the car and what bellhousing are you using? according to the grooves in the floor pan the shifter hump seems to be installed in the correct location but I can see through the hole that the mounting holes for the shifter bracket are too far towards the rear of the car. Maybe you can also measure from the end of your tail shaft to the face of the yoke on the differential. I just had to do this recently to get a new drive shaft made. I want to say I was about 55 and a half inches. I can measure again just to be sure and I can also take some pictures similar to what you have when i get the chance.
I have a sbc 350 with the Lakewood 15050 bellhousing. No nee rearend yet. But I'll be running a slightly narrowed ford 9 inch. The 7 1/4 inch stock rear end is 56.5 inches from tailhousing end to differential housing end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a sbc 350 with the Lakewood 15050 bellhousing. No nee rearend yet. But I'll be running a slightly narrowed ford 9 inch. The 7 1/4 inch stock rear end is 56.5 inches from tailhousing end to differential housing end.
New, not nee...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New, not nee...
Here are some pics from underneath. Turns out it's also slightly touching the rear corner of the case too. Based on the fact I was able to bolt the trans to the mount, and the mount to the crossmember (and seeing it's all the way back in the slots), it may only be 1-1.5 inches too far back. Does that seem about right, based on the pics from the top? @67NovaSS

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah that would seem about right given the measurements you got from the tail shaft to the differential yoke. I am running a factory 8.875 12 bolt, however. I measured again to be sure with the suspension loaded and I'm actually 54 1/2" from end of tail shaft housing to the face of the diff yoke. I have the same markings on my tail shaft btw 3857584.

My mount is also positioned in the slots pretty much all the way towards the rear of the car and I am running a factory cross member, and an M20 with a super case with a factory aluminum bell housing 3849309.

What's odd is the clearance or lack thereof inside the tunnel. Do you have the correct trans mount? I'm sure you do but figured I'd ask.

Looking at the cutout in my trans hump it appears whoever had this car before me cut away some material. I have a new hump to install so I feel like the position of the shifter might be similar to yours once that's done. Hmm...

I still have to trim my carpeting so that's what you're seeing in the opening as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have an Auto Gear M-22 in my 1963 hardtop no issues but I am using the factory four speed cross member and new old stock Muncie linkage. with that being said I purchased my car in 1986 from the original owners they had converted the car to V-8 and a four speed way back in the day!! they used the correct # 721 283 engine and a Borg Warner T-10 and a factory four speed floor stamping which was modified to fit an early version Hurst type gate and linkage. I had the floor stamping repaired when I restored the car. the factory four speed cars had cross member with a rolled leading edge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that would seem about right given the measurements you got from the tail shaft to the differential yoke. I am running a factory 8.875 12 bolt, however. I measured again to be sure with the suspension loaded and I'm actually 54 1/2" from end of tail shaft housing to the face of the diff yoke. I have the same markings on my tail shaft btw 3857584.

My mount is also positioned in the slots pretty much all the way towards the rear of the car and I am running a factory cross member, and an M20 with a super case with a factory aluminum bell housing 3849309.

What's odd is the clearance or lack thereof inside the tunnel. Do you have the correct trans mount? I'm sure you do but figured I'd ask.

Looking at the cutout in my trans hump it appears whoever had this car before me cut away some material. I have a new hump to install so I feel like the position of the shifter might be similar to yours once that's done. Hmm...

I still have to trim my carpeting so that's what you're seeing in the opening as well.
What bracket/ installation kit did you use? What's weird is, my Hurst install kit is stamped steel, but it didn't include the 2 spacers needed to install on the very first boss, which sticks out more than the rest (approx. 1.5 inches). Nor is it called out in the instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
donwonny . . . . . look at this post ; they talk about a " short tranny mount " and a " tall trans mount " .

Look at post # 45 . . . and, post # 47

could help you out some . . . . with some measurements .

I did a W/C T 5 install ; and, just used my powerglide rubber mount , for my 69 .

later , jim

Reactions: donwonny

·
Registered
655 Posts
that is what didn't work for me on the conversion. had to use an old mount from an el camino that came with the trans rather than the new mount in the box. new mount was too tall.

still had to beat and split the top left of tunnel and re-weld. but my muncie trans was also from a '70 el camino.

all works well now, though.

-Rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking Speedway welded the motor mounts about an inch back from stock (on the gasser front clip I got). Can someone confirm the mount to mount distance between the motor mount and the transmission mount (center to center)?

Besides that, the shorter trans mount (1 5/8 height) is on order, as are the hurst spacers.

Once confirmed that the front clip motor mounts are actually off, I'll order a Dirty Dingo adjustable motor mount plate to correct the motor mount location. It allows for up to 3" of adjustment (1.5" fore and aft).

I really appreciate all the help figuring this out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm thinking Speedway welded the motor mounts about an inch back from stock (on the gasser front clip I got). Can someone confirm the mount to mount distance between the motor mount and the transmission mount (center to center)?

Besides that, the shorter trans mount (1 5/8 height) is on order, as are the hurst spacers.

Once confirmed that the front clip motor mounts are actually off, I'll order a Dirty Dingo adjustable motor mount plate to correct the motor mount location. It allows for up to 3" of adjustment (1.5" fore and aft).

I really appreciate all the help figuring this out.
You know....I was going to ask about that but assumed you had stock mounts and didn't have this issue with your previous setup. Now that would make the most sense. I can measure mine later.

·
Registered
655 Posts
how did you make out?

we are trying to solve a clutch chatter issue--in reverse, only--thinking the mount may be bad, and i just checked my new mount, and it is the 2378 mount that DID NOT FIT, it was too tall. i have it new and in the box. the rubber for the elco mount was down into the metal portion, if memory serves, making it not so high. i will search for it new.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
yes . . . . any up-dates . . . . . did this work ; not work . . . ?
any other issues . with the install .

jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts