Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was difficult enough to remove the phillips head bolts for the door hinges the first time and it seems difficult to tighten down the new ones I got from Classic Industries to hold the door firmly in place. I don't want to strip the head and I may need to remove them later. Is there another bolt out there that has the same bevel that will work?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
these bolts have always been a problem,especially in a wetter climate ( read "rust" here....:mad:) like ours in b.c.
to remove,grind the head a little (without scarring the aluminum hinge) and weld a small nut to the offending screw.weld into the centre of the nut to prevent messing up the hinge.
to replace,buy a GOOD quality 3/8" socket/bit that fits the screw properly(take a screw to the tool store) or look for a "torx" headed countersunk screw to replace the phillips head.it may not be original,but it will save you alot of grief for the long haul and you can really tighten these suckers.
good luck,
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
After I broke the tip off a 3/8" drive philips bit; I realized the bolts still had a standard hex head design although shallow I was able to remove and retighten them with a regular socket.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
On my 64 I replaced them with stainless steel ones that uses an allen wrench to install. I think I got them from McMaster-Carr.
I did the exact same thing. Got them from Mcmaster Carr too. I did find that they were a little "soft" The allen wrench is only about 3/16" and they tend to round out if you are not carefull. It is weird because I have never had a problem with a good allen head bolt until I used these sainless steel ones. Not nearly as hard as a grade 8 bolt. They do look good though.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts