Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilema, My IL6 single barrel rochester was giving me problems that posed as an accelerator pump issue from what everyone was saying, Ie, when starting out the car would sputter and sometimes die. I put in a new accelerator pump, no improvement. had the carburator rebuilt and then I had the squirts in the throat working again on acceleration, however didnt still change the way the car is running. Ordered a remanufactured rochester from classic industries and put it on, still has hesitation on acceleration but not quite as bad as before. but still will die if not babied while getting the car rolling. I'm at a loss, where else should I be looking to fix this car to get it running right? Distributor, valves, Fuel pump? sound familiar to anyone? Still have points in the distributor and they are new and set the gap at I believe it was 19 thousants had the dwell checked at a local shop after they were installed and the timing and dwell were good. Thanks in advance for anyhelp here.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
This can also be cause by an improper throttle plate gap if I remember correctly.
I think it was to little air flow causes gas to fall out in the intake and causes a stall when more fuel is fed in on acceleration. Fixing the acc. pump wont help cause it is already running to rich.

There is a tread here on Steves about this. I will see if I can find it again.

EarlyIIS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no clue how to adjust vacume or the throttle plate for that matter. is the throttle plate inside the carb? I did mention that I have now used two different carbs and they both are doing this . The new carb just isnt quite as bad as the first one was. Thanks guys, I am trying to learn this stuff

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
If you look down the carb with the air breather off and the choke opened the throttle plate is in the bottom of the carb.

Here is an exploded view.

As far as just how to adjust or check the throuttle plate I am not sure. hopefully someone will chime in thats knows.

EarlyIIs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts