Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been out of the Novas for a little while and decided to get back into it with a more door project. Found a local 63 400 series car that still had the factory AC still there, but it needed a new 6 cyl engine. Just so happens a friend had no need for a very nice low mileage 194. After 3 weeks making the deal its home. Interior is not original, exterior has a few repaints, but its pretty cool, and has everything there for the AC.
Here are the plans:
Swap the 194's
5 lug swap
lower it a good amount
16/17" combo or 16's all around
Church boy, or CPP LCA's

AC question-The system still has pressure, should I just try and refill it, or do a 134 conversion? And where would I look to get the parts for the conversion?

Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
wow car looks to be in really good shape. Now throw some airbags and redo the interior and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Awwwww gee a Grandma car!

I have a soft place in my heart for white 63 4 doors. My first Chevy II was an ermine white with turquoise interior 300 series 4 dr. from my Grandma who drove it for only 27,800 miles and gave it to me when she quit driving at 86 years old. I loved the car and I drove it over 100,000 miles with the three speed on the tree and the 194 six.

Drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
THAT'S A NICE PIECE YA FOUND THERE! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
983 Posts
If the mechanical components appear to function I would see if I could locate a couple cans of R12 or R12A and see what happens.

Looks like the kids already dig it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the mechanical components appear to function I would see if I could locate a couple cans of R12 or R12A and see what happens.

Looks like the kids already dig it.:thumbsup:
I have a friend that still has a case and won't be using it, but he knows what its worth, so I might just try a few cans to see if it will work. The compressor spins freely and everything else is in good shape, it just may work.

Yes, the kids love playing in it, they like the fact they have their own door, and the windows roll all the way down. :D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
That's a nice looking car John. Good score. Are you going to get it done before Fall...it would be nice to see it in Anoka. :yes::D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a nice looking car John. Good score. Are you going to get it done before Fall...it would be nice to see it in Anoka. :yes::D
I'll have it running in the next few weeks, not sure on if it will be driveable enough to get up there this season. Its going to come down if the powerglide needs a rebuild or not.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Small update

More of a parts gathering update, but I found a good deal on a set of Wilwood brakes for the front, 12" rotors, Dynalite forged calipers. Should stop it pretty good. :eek: Picked up a 5 lug rear from a 66. Just need to figure out if I go with 15" or 16" Rallys.

Engine should be coming out this weekend-pictures of progress to follow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More parts coming together.

Walt @ Classic Nova provided me with the CPP mini subframe kit with CBR style arms for that rack and pinion later down the road. :) Also going on will be a Wilwood master cylinder, also from Classic Nova.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small update-Engine and transmission ready to come out. It's been one of the easier Novas to take apart, but by far the dirtiest! I will have to scrape the 1" of crud off the underside of the car and transmission. The powerglide will most likely need a rebuild, so I might upgrade to a turbo 350 for the added gear. The challenge I will have is to get the engine transmission out while leaving all the AC intact. I might just move the engine forward enough to get to the transmission bolts and take out in two pieces.
I also noticed antifreeze on top of the rockers, so the engine had multiple issues.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
lol..no, I hate to pass up a '63 engine but I have way to little space as-is :cool:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some progress finally made. Funny how a basic engine swap, and 5 lug swap turns into a full suspension and transmission swap. :)

One thing is certain, I'll probably have more time into cleaning the engine bay than doing the rest of the work....One DIRTY car.

Look at the lack of detail in the original powerglide....to think I thought I was going to be able to change a few gaskets and use this thing...

After power washing and scraping. Still needs a lot of degreasing to do, then onto sanding to get it ready for paint.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Look at the lack of detail in the original powerglide....to think I thought I was going to be able to change a few gaskets and use this thing...
:eek::eek:

That looks alot like the one I removed from my '62 Impala SS back in the day!

I bet you had to pressure wash YOURSELF after being under the car!:eek::D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts