Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a drivers side hood hinge. Mine has a rivet that has worn through and egged out the hole in the pivot. I think the 63-67 hinges are the same but I could be mistaken.

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
1963 - 65 are the same, '65 used different springs.

Reactions: ldamm

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
'63-'64 ( on the left ) are the same , '65 ( on the right )are a bit different design , they are stronger than the earlier design

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
So that hinge on the right has a bit of a backstory to it. That is the revised or "second design" hinge that superseded the previous unit in late 1965. It is the one listed in GM parts catalogs for 1963 - 65 from the mid-'60s on. It is an early Chevelle (probably all A Body) hinge and I would guess was part of GM's move to standardize common parts between lines in this period. And no doubt an improved design as the early Nova hinges are crappy as you know.

GM references show it was the assembly line hinge in 1965, but was it used evenly across factories the whole year? A speculation is it was phased in as the lines ran out of the previous ('63-64) unit. Possibly a chance a car could have had one of each, if the line used up one side before the other.

Since it was the service replacement hinge, there are likely 1963 - 64 cars out there that have one 1st design hinge and one 2nd design hinge. Conversely there are probably some '65s that had hinges replaced and got the earlier one, as that is what the parts department had on the shelf.

The spring is also different, but I do not recall why. But replacement hinges normally came without springs, so high probability of the intermingling of springs.

Reactions: ldamm

·
Registered
662 Posts
So that hinge on the right has a bit of a backstory to it. That is the revised or "second design" hinge that superseded the previous unit in late 1965. It is the one listed in GM parts catalogs for 1963 - 65 from the mid-'60s on. It is an early Chevelle (probably all A Body) hinge and I would guess was part of GM's move to standardize common parts between lines in this period. And no doubt an improved design as the early Nova hinges are crappy as you know.

GM references show it was the assembly line hinge in 1965, but was it used evenly across factories the whole year? A speculation is it was phased in as the lines ran out of the previous ('63-64) unit. Possibly a chance a car could have had one of each, if the line used up one side before the other.

Since it was the service replacement hinge, there are likely 1963 - 64 cars out there that have one 1st design hinge and one 2nd design hinge. Conversely there are probably some '65s that had hinges replaced and got the earlier one, as that is what the parts department had on the shelf.

The spring is also different, but I do not recall why. But replacement hinges normally came without springs, so high probability of the intermingling of springs.
does this mean a chevelle hinge will fit my '63? and that it would be an upgrade?

sorry if i missed something here. but wouldn't mind an upgrade, that is for sure.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer Duane but I found another set of oem hinges that were no better than the ones I had so I called up GM Classics and asked Junior about the quality of the aftermarket hinges they sell. He said they haven't had any complaints so I ordered a set for $119 shipped. I thought the price wasn't too bad.
These hinges arrived and what a heavy box. I opened them up and holy cow, they were twice the gauge steel as the originals. They were made by Dynacorn and labeled as 63-64 impala. The C2O sticker said 63-65 nova. They matched up almost exactly to my originals so I installed them on the car and they fit great. Now after closing the hood, I don't have to push it down at the back corners anymore. I am super pleased with these and would recommend them to anybody.

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
does this mean a chevelle hinge will fit my '63? and that it would be an upgrade?

sorry if i missed something here. but wouldn't mind an upgrade, that is for sure.

-Rusty
The 1st and 2nd design hood hinges fit the below. From what the books show the Chevelle only received the 2nd design hinge and it was phased in on the Full Size, the right side getting it first in late 1964.
1963 - 64 Full Size Passenger Car
1963 - 65 Chevy II / Nova
1964 Chevelle

What I think buccflyer received is a new revised, more modern hinge. Basically the same hinge, but made drastically stronger making them far more functional. I have seen these in the Ford world. Great news as the repop hinge could leave a lot to be desired, from fitment issues to slop in the rivets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts