Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if somone could help me with a template for drilling the hood for the front lip trim piece. The hood is a cowl hood that did not have trim.
Thanks

·
Registered
805 Posts
i actually also need this, but for a stock hood. my assembly manual did not provide the info as i'd hoped--or i overlooked it...

-rusty

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have a '63 hood. i can't get you the measurements right away but i'll measure it up for you guys... can ya wait a day or so?

the holes are elongated, i know that much... i'll take a tape measure and affix it to the hood and show you the span of the holes, distance from edge, front side, back side... think that would do ya?

i can do a '63 hood and a '64 hood if that would be helpful to folks down the line... the hood bars affix differently.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can wait as long as it takes you. Sounds like you are going to hit it from every angle. Thanx for the help. The holes that iv seen in pics look like they are almost square. I would think a round hole is going to have to work.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I had to do this very thing. The holes are elongated because the diecast pins must move as you slide then in the holes. HTH, Mike

·
Registered
805 Posts
AWESOME! thanks.

my dad cut up the old 63 hood and tossed it since the car came with a less rusty hood in primer...neither of us recognized the good hood was, i assume, a 65 hood (hole on underside lip)! whoops!

-rusty

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

interesting how the holes are laid out... measuring from outside edge toward the center, left to right & right to left.

my hood bar wouldn't line up/install from the right side toward left side... no way it would install without breaking a pin...
installing from LEFT to right my hood bar slid easily into the holes.

the hod bar in the image is factory installed on this car...

·
Registered
805 Posts
that's awesome! thanks so much! people from Tudorpostville rock!

my eyesight isn't the greatest; can i confirm what i think i see on the lower left? holes are 5/8" x 1/4" tall, and the center of the hole is 7/16" from the bottom of the hood lip? sorry for my blindness!

again, many thanks!

-rusty

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow Flyer your the man! I too needed this as I have a 65 hood on my 63... I don't know if you got my PM but I was talking with Dave H when he got the front doors from my 65 four door but he said you may want the backs. Let me know and thanks for the insight on the hood trim holes again!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx Flyer- Now to get up the balls to drill into the hood. I'll make it out first and see how the pins line up with the marks that I make. At least I have the hardware to install it on the new hood.Speaking of that is there a certain way that the clip goes or I will be able to figure it out.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, 5/8 tall x 1/4 wide, 7/16 off the bottom lip.

yeah, i could use the doors for the wagon project! :thumbsup:

i'll get the '64 hood holes maybe tomorrow, those are all i have. the '64 & '63 hoods... as far as the clips, i don't think there are clips per se, i think it'd be nuts & washers for the '63 hood, the '64 takes a clippie...

the top image shows the holes underside of the hood for the nut hardware access...does your hood have the underside holes? unsure if all the under-bracing is the same, trim and no trim...

glad to have helped guys. ;)

·
Registered
805 Posts
yeah, backing plate...is there one for each hole? oddly, i think there are only 2 or 4 that i have (sloppy stashing, possibly) from the old hood. might have to make more if that is the case.

-rusty

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
You will indeed need the backing plates behind each stud regarding the '63 hood diecast. If not used, fitment will not be tight.

·
Registered
805 Posts
thanks for the tip, tony!

btw, we were in wisconsin (green bay) visiting relatives and almost came home with a 350/4spd 63 impala (post) the guy was trying to GIVE away ($1500 and woulda gone lower!:eek:). you guys have some sweet deals there! too bad we were driving a minivan...

-rusty

1 - 20 of 29 Posts