Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need help finding New axle bearing for my 63 Chevy II with a GM 8.2 17 spline this is my first time on this site and I seen a thread talking about having axles converted to 5 lug at the machine shop that’s exactly what I did on mine now the problem I’m having is finding the New bearing
part # RW-506a if anyone can help locate or steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

· Registered
2,856 Posts
The 1962 - 63 Nova rear axle bearing has become very difficult to find. It is a Nova only item and an antiquated design. Has not been made in a long time. There have been rumblings of it maybe being repoped, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bearing number per the Delco NDH catalog is RW506AR. GM part number is 907370. Need to be careful shopping for these, as there are quite a few other bearing assemblies that look the same w/ similar numbers.

They do pop-up on eBay infrequently. Usually north of $100 per bearing. Have to just be persistent.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
This thread was posted in 2015 by @JBimmolate aka Miles. He has an axle/differential shop in Stockton, Ca.

1963 wagon
4,183 Posts
There was a company (Centric maybe) that started making them for a short period then they too discontinued them as well. As far as I know they are not being made by anyone as of right now.

Miles

· Premium Member
844 Posts
Might be easier to just buy and swap out the rear axle with one from a 65, 66, 67 chevy ll axle if you can find one. They are easier to work on and parts are easily available. Just saying. I also think that if you mic the bearing you might be able to find one used for another application,

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I am just wondering if this bearing might be used in another application, not Nova or perhaps even auto related?
Perhaps a bearing distributor could find something?
I have spent many hours researching this bearing assembly and everything points to they were only used on 1962 - '63 Chevy IIs. My Delco bearing book covers all vehicles, trucks and I think tractors as well. It shows it as Nova only.

In the 1961 preview for the Chevy II sent out to dealers they tout the new rear end designed just for the Chevy II. (Obviously based on existing designs, but smaller). GM seems to have changed it enough to make it unique.

I have come across some listings in the non-automotive world that look promising, but I do not have the background to make that judgement. They also looked to be a more modern bearing design. And the prices were prohibitive to "give it a shot".

· Registered
141 Posts
I read during my research that 1979-1980 buick rear axle bearings are very similar with just some small shims needed to make them work. I have no proof they will work or a procedure just something I read.

· Registered
23 Posts
According to what I found on line the RW506-AR was made by Federal Mogal/ Timken and is considered a deep groove ball bearing syle (DGBB) has basic dims of 32id x 65OD x 17w. I used to work for SKF bearings and have some old catalogs of standards and the closest I found is a 6206 (30x62x16mm). It would take some additional welding and machine work to make these fit in the original axles.
As mentioned above, it Might be better money spent swapping to the 8.2 with 5 lugs, but take note the spring perch on the rear should be for mono leaf (much shorter) than for multi leaf (taller). I learned that the hard way, along with alot of other nova surprizes before the internet came along!
Frank T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts