Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pair of full quarters for my 63 hardtop. As expected, there are some pretty annoying flaws in them. So, for the benefit of any who are thinking of doing the same, here's what you get:

In the first pic, you can see that the factory quarter has a long shallow indentation in the top edge to accomodate the sail panel. Not present in the repro.

The second pic shows this weird little bump or outcropping at the very front corner of the window opening. To my eye, this looks like it is exactly the width that the sail panel notch should be. :rolleyes: Just speculation on my part, I am not a body man, but it looks like it would make the whole window opening too wide if installed as-is.

Also, take note that the inside part of the window notch is completely missing on the repro. Shouldn't be a problem for most people, just don't go cutting anything until you have the new part in front of you.

Has anyone here done a full quarter on their 62-65?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Damn that makes me wonder if I should bother. I was hoping to be able to just pull it off and slap a new one on without much work. Are there holes for the door latches?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can see one of them in the bottom pic. As for the overall shape of the quarter panel, it seems pretty good, though as is common with repop sheet metal, details like the rear corner tips, right next to the tail lights, are not as sharp as the factory versions. A trained eye would definitely be able to pick them out on a finished car.

·
13,727 Posts
Of note for convertible owners, the repop quarters I've seen say they are for coupes only. Anybody know if convertible quarters are available now? Actually, the absence of the sail panel lip in the above pics almost looks like this quarter is for a convertible. Also, the door jamb window notch on the convert is only about an inch deep. I agree with George! With today's technology, they should be able to make perfect reproductions. Unfortunately, very few repop products even come close.
Bob

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Greg_R_63 said:
details like the rear corner tips, right next to the tail lights, are not as sharp as the factory versions.
I think it would be very obvious if there was 1 original and 1 repop. could you hammer it to make it pointier, or maybe weld in a little metal?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
65deuce said:
I feel your pain. I did a pair on my 65 over a year ago, suprised to see they have made no revisions. Once it's all said and done they are O.K., no repop metal is great but it usually beats what you have now. I filled in one of the 1/4 window holes but before I realized they are missing I had cleaned and junked all the cut off :eek:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/edrod01/DSCF0021.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/edrod01/DSCF0012.jpg
Have you gotten back to the point of reinstalling your quarter windows? That's my biggest concern. If I'm right, the weatherstrip is not going to make contact with the quarter window, due to the wider gap. Also, because of the missing inside notch area, you're lacking the inner doorstops that go there.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Wow thats interesting I just picked mine up last saturday. I havent compared them side by side yet. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be dealing with the same problems.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Greg, check back in my post's when I had me 63, I have a lot of good insight in those post, plus a few :beat:

·
Registered
62 Posts
for the window opening near the door stop I reused the old one and just welded it on the new quarte, I almost threw it away.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Greg_R_63 said:
Have you gotten back to the point of reinstalling your quarter windows? That's my biggest concern. If I'm right, the weatherstrip is not going to make contact with the quarter window, due to the wider gap. Also, because of the missing inside notch area, you're lacking the inner doorstops that go there.
Nope, I haven't put glass back in the car, or painted it yet for that matter. I have straightened out the missing notch but only on one side. I think I measured the width of the 1/4 window opening at one time and it seemed to match with some measurements that were posted when Duane was asking for members to get some numbers off of their cars for him.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
First thing, body lines body lines body lines. If I did it all over again I would leave the doors, fenders and trunk lid on the car. After I welded up one of mine The body lines were straight horizontilly but when you look from the rear going to the front the quarter was kicked out at the door, but everything went together smooth. That was why I was asking for measurements from the other guys, going from outer window gap to the other side outer window gap, turns out I was about 1/2" off from everyone else.

As for all the seams, I welded them up, sail panel and trunk panel.

When you remove the quarters, cut the center section out and look inside, there is some things that shoudn't be cut. If you want pictures I still have some.

Last but not least, take a lot of measurements before cutting to rfeernce where everything was before.

P.S. if you need a passenger side taillight hounsing panel, I'll sell you one for 1/2 price, still have that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How did the fit in the back corner near the taillight area??. Im planning on at leat replacing one this winter.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
skrymir said:
I think it would be very obvious if there was 1 original and 1 repop. could you hammer it to make it pointier, or maybe weld in a little metal?
You'd have to be a skilled metal fabricator, but it could be done. I'd be hesitant to build up the corners with filler. Seems like it would be too fragile. Crazy thought - what about panel adhesive? Would it be durable enough to be used in this way? Maybe one of our resident body techs will speak up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
oh, those pictures just chevy, I'm going to have to try and dig them out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts