Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having moved up in the world to afford a Boot... And, finishing my rebuild, I happily snapped the boot snaps and took off at mach 2!!!! Such a beautiful ride and I had a big smile on my face. When I got home my boot was gone! caught the wind and sailed off... no idea where. :)

****, How do I fix that?? I looked into attaching islets and grommets, maybe a hook, I do not know, something.... (it did keep my speed down) Then I was looking at the back seat and examining the boot to put in islets and wondered what is this round edge with a plastic rod insert in it... and what is this rail thing attached to the back of the seat? I looked again, even got my flashligh! what if I press this thing into this thing, or maybe slide it...... LIGHT BULB!!! No grommets needed. After 35 years, still a surprise or 2.

After you slide the boot rod into rail, the boot can be unsnapped and folded into the well leaving attached to seat to raise the top. I am unsure about how the well linner works there but looks like I will not have to splurge for another boot. :)
bootrail.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
Tough lesson to learn. I have learned that lesson with a cup of soda, my house keys, my wallet and my car phone, so you lucked out. I inserted my top boot at one end of the channel and just sludded it all the way to the other side and it remains there today. The other thing that may be a factor is that the snaps on the stainless steel trim do wear after years of snapping and unsnapping, so if they are worn, they're prone to popping off there.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ha, had to Laugh, we all do them silly stupid things , lol, me more than most, like my Dad use say, sometimes ya have laugh at yourself

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
One piece of advice I will add, because I learned the hard way, is to make sure as you're folding the top down that the boot that you left behind the seat doesn't get pinched by the convertible frame. It will slice it like a giant pair of scissors. Only takes a couple extra seconds to make sure that the ends of the boot are folded toward the center away from where the frame can damage them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my eyes now wide open, I tested out the boot. Mine is from Classic Industries and did you know they have 2 extra snaps on the inside to snap to the upper rear arm rest? I found this out by reproducing my mach 2 test and found the 'boot arms' (the long parts that come around the covert frame on sides) flew off! (boot stayed attached). then I looked inside and there are snaps there. I bought some screw end snaps and was going to install into rear arm rest.

Did any of you consider putting in the arm rest snap (smaller) to fit to the boot snap? thanks
20200419_130651.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow-up, I did install the snaps into the rear arm rest. It was a bit of measuring but they are fine, looking good. Pictured is the boot snap, then with the boot snapped in place firmly secured. 20200423_104138.jpg 20200423_104257.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
My rear armrests already had the snaps but the ones on the boot do not line up like the original did. I was not very impressed with my new boot cover.

·
13,690 Posts
My rear armrests already had the snaps but the ones on the boot do not line up like the original did. I was not very impressed with my new boot cover.
I had the same problem when I got my reproduction boot cover in the late 90's. Armrest snaps didn't line up and the actual boot material was paper thin compared to the original.

Bob

·
Registered
779 Posts
I still have the old one and it is in pretty good shape, except for where I pinched it in the frame. Was contemplating having it repaired. I agree. The material on the old one was much thicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts