Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
63 Convertible interior rear upper panel ?? part

hey guys, I am looking for a part. I am not sure what the part is called, I think it is called a "Upper Rear arm rest panel", its made of metal and hooks to the interior back window sill and tucks under the interior rear panel trim (above the panel itself with the window lever in it. I am looking for the left and right.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
That's as good a name for it as any. The picture says more.

Many guys have said that the '61-'63 GM small convertibles (Olds F-85, Pontiac Tempest, Buick Skylark) share rear seat, convertible top and other convertible pieces with '62-'63 Novas. I've always wondered just how much interchangeability there is between these cars, and if you could pluck some parts from one of the GM sister vehicles, would they fit. Have any members tried it for this trim piece or any other?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You got me wondering

After your question , I got to thinking and went and looked at my car. When I got the car the interior was stripped and most of the car was in the trunk in boxes. After looking I dont have that part either. I have the lower arm rest panel but not the upper. So I guess there is now two of us looking for a set. After going through all my boxes I find I have 3 lowers and no uppers . Can you use the same upper out of a reg 2 door car as a donor? It looks like you only need the front half of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
It's definitely NOT the same as a hardtop because the piece on a hardtop is welded to the body. The convertible piece is convertible only, and has a little chrome or polished aluminum cover at the rear narrow end. I've never seen the hardtop piece off of a car to see if one could be fabbed, but time-wise, you might be better off trying to see if an SNS member has a set.

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
did you find a set ? I have a set in very nice condition :yes:
if your interested
pm me your e-mail or cell # and I will send ya some pics
Craig

·
Registered
71 Posts
After talking to 2 different suppliers, I was told it's hard cardboard for the uppers. Maybe that's why I could not find the metal piece I thought it was. They said hardtops and other cars used metal but the convertible used the cardboard for top and metal for bottom.If some one has pictures off of a 63 convertible I would like to see them.Ok after going through my stock again I found the metal piece that the cardboard attaches too. Here is the metal part you need.This fits on top of rear part of body and next to window.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
After talking to 2 different suppliers, I was told it's hard cardboard for the uppers. Maybe that's why I could not find the metal piece I thought it was. They said hardtops and other cars used metal but the convertible used the cardboard for top .
ALL rear interior side panels were made from card board , NONE from metal

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is it, the upper rear body panel

Yes, that is part. It is metal and you have the drivers side. (I use to have them, but were lost, long story).

The lower part is a body panel and is cardboard and fabric. (with window handle fits into it.

yes, I would like to have them!Matt

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
Well I had ordered new panels and they came in today. So that is how they look under the metal trim .
there is a stainless panel retainer that separates the two , just as in the pic above on the red vert

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
That's as good a name for it as any. The picture says more.

Many guys have said that the '61-'63 GM small convertibles (Olds F-85, Pontiac Tempest, Buick Skylark) share rear seat, convertible top and other convertible pieces with '62-'63 Novas. I've always wondered just how much interchangeability there is between these cars, and if you could pluck some parts from one of the GM sister vehicles, would they fit. Have any members tried it for this trim piece or any other?
I have a set of header end caps from a '63 Skylark that are different than Chevy II and I believe the headers may be different as well

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
63 Nova Conv interior rear upper panel (molding/whatever)

Here's what they look like I am getting from Dave. Classic Ind and other will sell you the lower panel (cardboard and fabric) but the upper is made of metal, and not a reproduction, anyway, I post because I had to spend 30 minutes with each to tell them what I wanted.. now I just send a picture!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts