Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my 63 finished up before the weather changes, but after 4 years of working on it I still havent come across a console I am happy with.

Seems I have a better chance of running across a unicorn than Nova console free of pits. Do they exist? From the stories I have heard it seems like the rechromed ones dont turn out either. I would even be happy with one with very little, but even the California ones have them.

I am thinking of having one of mine rechromed and just living with it till I can find one I like. Thanks for listening to my rant/vent.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I haven't seen one without pits and having it rechromed can be done but it will more then likely have pits when done. I'm sure you can find someone that will strip it down and fill and repair the pits before rechroming it but I'm sure it would cost 2k or better. Good luck

·
13,804 Posts
The answer is 'no'! I've had my '63 SS convertible for 21 years. The console is original and has pits, but actually looks above average for a convertible. Since I got the car, I've searched for a better one, but none to be found. And, don't be fooled by ones on Ebay that look better. I've bought two and both were worse than mine. I've also noticed that the rear pieces are usually in worse shape than the front. Anybody else have this experience? The design of these consoles with all the grooves make them very hard to restore. All the pits have to be filled and smoothed.....very labour intensive. Another piece of advice. Don't just chrome over the pits, because they'll look twice as bad. I've learned to live with mine the way it is.

Bob

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the nicest one I have come across I didnt buy a few months after starting my car for $45 at a swap meet for the front half. :mad:

The best of the 3 that I have and am planning to run is probably the one of the best that I have seen in person but just looks a little out of place (to my eye) next to everything that has been professionally rechromed and repolished. I had the guy look at it when I had my other stuff done and he said that he could do it for about the $200 range but it would have a little different look with the bottom of the "troughs" and he said that you will still be able to see some of the pits.

I guess each year has its own needle in a haystack items.

·
13,804 Posts
I'm not sure you'd be happy with a $200 job. The quotes I've had were all over $1000 and they still weren't guaranteeing they could make it like new. I've seen some that were just rechromed and they looked terrible.

Bob

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Just a stretch on the question. I've seen a few here and there at swaps. It seems, that even if you find a decent one, the short rear section is terrible. Is that pretty common? I've thought that if I picked one up I'd be able to pass it on here, but don't want to get stuck with it either. :confused: Naturally I'd have no need for it myself.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the back part is the harder of the two pieces to find in good condition. They are always worse than the front. My dad always said it was because that is where people set their drinks.

If you had a nice or even decent one you would have people lining up for it.

·
13,804 Posts
Yes the back part is the harder of the two pieces to find in good condition. They are always worse than the front. My dad always said it was because that is where people set their drinks.

If you had a nice or even decent one you would have people lining up for it.
Stuff gets dropped on the back piece, too, seatbelts, etc. I don't believe I've ever seen an NOS 63/64 console advertised. That would make an interesting auction. Wonder if Novajoe has one?:D

Bob

·
Registered
354 Posts
My console was chromed over the pits. Looks 10 times worse than it did with the 40 plus years of exposure. Front passable the rear is terrible. I did not ask enough questions,

bg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
63-64 supersport console's

I had a couple back in the day pretty nice ones to,looked to be well taken care
of still had minor pitting. should have kept one around!! have a couple of
buddies in areospace business thaught maybe would give them the console
and replicate in aluminum using cnc machine then have it plated. I sold my
supersport before I tried this scheme. maybe an idea for perfection not sure
how $$$$ it would cost now. just a thaught

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a friend's uncle (one of those deals) that said he hit a cow in his 64 SS back in 1966 and totaled the car with 7500 mi on the clock. When he went down to the tow yard the next day to get his personal belongings they gave him a phillips screwdriver to take off the license plates. He said he pulled everything he could with a phillips including the console which looked "brand new", bucket seat sides, tail lenses, and some other stuff and that he has them in a box someplace. I tried to motivate him a little bit and told him I would buy this "box" sight unseen for $500. That was 4 years ago and I still have yet to see it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep that really sums it up...not even sure if you should bother looking because may not even be any out there.

Dont even bother with Bigfoot...just go straight to the Delorean and gun it to 88.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its just hard to fit in my head that this was a mass produced part for car that was 2nd lowest on Chevy's model line and price point at a couple thousand bucks, and would still be challenging part to reproduce nearly 50 years later.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Its just hard to fit in my head that this was a mass produced part for car that was 2nd lowest on Chevy's model line and price point at a couple thousand bucks, and would still be challenging part to reproduce nearly 50 years later.
I think it might just be the cost of reproducing it added to the demand. You can set up a machine and punch out a crap load of fenders that fit multiple years and models and move enough to make a profit. But this item is limited to what it was used in and Im sure much more expensive to produce than an unfinished sheetmetal part. Personally if a part gets too ridicuously expensive Ill just do without.

·
13,804 Posts
I think it might just be the cost of reproducing it added to the demand. You can set up a machine and punch out a crap load of fenders that fit multiple years and models and move enough to make a profit. But this item is limited to what it was used in and Im sure much more expensive to produce than an unfinished sheetmetal part. Personally if a part gets too ridicuously expensive Ill just do without.
I agree there wouldn't be much demand for these consoles as a reproduced part, especially at the price they'd be asking. They only came in 63/64 SS cars with PG. You could fit them between the 1962 buckets, but you'd need to move the PG selector from the column to the floor to fill the hole. I don't imagine there was much of an 'across the counter' market for them even in the 60s.

Bob

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
My rear piece is also crap. The front portion isn't too bad. Good thing that is more visible. I've thought about having the entire console powdercoated black and move on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts