Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 63 nova with v8 and Muncie 4 speed. I’m running the 7:00 bellhousing and had the opening machined to accept the larger front bearing retainer. When I had the car up and running I had clutch engagement and disengagement on the floor. Unfortunatley I was sold a inferior flywheel and the ring gear has come loose after the first test ride! So the trans has to come back out. I’m looking for any tips clutch wise while I have this out again. I’m thinking of getting an adjustable pivot ball and measuring for the 4.75”. I also have the luk clutch kit with the flat diaphragm fingers and I’m using the t/o bearing included in that kit. Does that sound about right? Any advice to check while I have the trans out would be appreciated. Any clutch fork measurements I can make to be sure I will have proper disengagement? Thanks so much !

·
Registered
394 Posts
I’m running a luk clutch kit in my 63 and I have had lots of difficulty getting the adjustment correct. I ended up using a Throwout Bearing I had and not the one that came with the clutch set. My big issue was making sure I had the right pivot ball - found out I had the wrong one and that fixed it enough to make it work.

Also make sure your z bar isn’t cracked. When mine broke it also caused the clutch to not disengage due to all the flex - pic below. There’s a pic of the clutch kit I used to see if you’re using the same one

there’s also my day to day struggles in my build thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IÂ’m running a luk clutch kit in my 63 and I have had lots of difficulty getting the adjustment correct. I ended up using a Throwout Bearing I had and not the one that came with the clutch set. My big issue was making sure I had the right pivot ball - found out I had the wrong one and that fixed it enough to make it work.

Also make sure your z bar isnÂ’t cracked. When mine broke it also caused the clutch to not disengage due to all the flex - pic below. ThereÂ’s a pic of the clutch kit I used to see if youÂ’re using the same one

thereÂ’s also my day to day struggles in my build thread.
Is the t/o bearing you used longer than from the kit? I just ordered adjustable pivot ball to hopefully solve issues

·
Registered
394 Posts
It’s been a bit but yeah I want to say I used a longer one. For the pivot stud the nova specific one is 1.75 in vs the 1.5 in long one used for about everything else. Should give you a starting point for the adjustable one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ItÂ’s been a bit but yeah I want to say I used a longer one. For the pivot stud the nova specific one is 1.75 in vs the 1.5 in long one used for about everything else. Should give you a starting point for the adjustable one.
now is the Luk clutch considered the flat diaphragm fingers ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts