Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1963 nova with a 3.08 open/non-posi.
I'm having axle bearing problems and I was wondering if I should replace the carrier and do the bearings all in one shot or just do the bearings and drive it till it pukes. It's hard to find a quality diff that fits my car. I found a 3.08 posi dropout which I heard is only good up to 200 hp which I shouldn't comain about because I have a 250 I6 that only produces about 150hp. I'm also looking long term. Changing the motor. Which leaves me to the point where keeping my housing and replacing the carrier for something that will withstand higher hp sounds more reasonable. Also is it worth doing all the work to a four door?

·
4,535 Posts
Up to you really. If the axle bearings are the only issue you could just fix those and keep putting along. A drop out from a 55-63 Chevy will interchange and is heavier duty than the Nova 3rd member. They use the same spline axles and same yoke so it's a direct swap. Or get a 10 bolt from a 64-67 but it will have 5 lug axles

Miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know of a guy who had a dropout for a 63 but it was dismantled for some reason. Not sure if that's really a way to go. I think I've got my plan thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
64 differential in a 63?

Am I the only guy that has what appears to be a 64 diff in a 63? I have 2 hardtops and both have the non removable carrier but my convertible does have a removable carrier (third member). Does anyone know if Chev made a mid year change in the style of rear end used in the Nova's. All of the parts manuals states the 62 and 63 both use the removable type of carrier and then from 64 thru 72 they use the non removable style.
What is up with this?:confused:

·
4,535 Posts
Not that I have seen, are the front hubs 5 lug as well? Unless someone did a conversion on them (may have even been done at a dealership if the 4 lug was no longer available) it would be the first I've seen come stock like that.

Miles

·
Registered
372 Posts
OK. That makes sense. Let me ask you this...would it have been necessary to change the entire differential in order to change from 4 lugs to 5 or would the 5 lug axles fit the 4 lug differential?

·
4,535 Posts
No 5 lug axles for the drop out diff (62-63). The only way would be to either upgrade the whole diff to 64-67, order custom 5 lug axles or weld up the stud holes on the 4 lug axles and redrill them with a 5 lug pattern.

Miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts