Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone can help or give there nova knowledge.
i just recently swapped out a 3 speed manual tranny to an automatic, and was going thru the under dash wiring, and i replaced the neutral safety switch, and found that i had no plug for this, other then the wiring for the brake wiring. after doing some research and looking thru all my shop manuals, the plug that seems to go here i do not have. my purple wire that goes from the key switch to thru the firewall, and fuse panel, out to starter solenoid, is one straight wire not broken. can anyone tell me or do you know if there are seperate under dash wiring harness's for automatics, vs. manual?? and can i just cut this wire to run to this switch as the shop manual shows.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Automatics probably had a slight wiring change in the harness but I say go for doing it yourself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Neutral safety switch

I had the same problem on my '63. It was a 3 speed on the column and I bought a complete automatic column from a wrecking yard. My '63 Chevy factory assembly manual shows that the 3 speed start wire(purple) went straight through to the starter. The automatic goes through the switch on the top(back) of the column where the switch was for the back up lights with the 3 speed column. My automatic switch had 2 extra poles on it for neutral safety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts