Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I became a new member a couple of weeks ago. Great site, mountains of information.I have a question asked many times, but can't find the answer I am looking for. Rim backspacing.I have searched and read many threads, maybe I just missed the one I needed . It seems most tire stores here in B.C. no very little regarding backspacing and of course all rims must be shipped up from the U.S. By the time all is said and done the price has doubled. I would like to order from the manufacturer or a store and have it delivered to a border shipping store, pick therm up there and save some money.
I have a 63 post, stock front end, cpp disc conversion with 2 inch drop spindles.
Can I use 17 x 7 with 4.5 b.s. 205/215-45-17 ?
Rear is also stock size with 3pack leaf de-arched 1" with 3/4 in lowering blk.
Can I use 17 x7 with 4.5 b.s. 225-45/50-17 ?
With the disc kit pushing the wheel out a bit, do i need a different b.s. up front?
I am hoping somebody out there is running a similiar set up and can give an easy answer.
Thanks Craig 63

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Hello, I became a new member a couple of weeks ago. Great site, mountains of information.I have a question asked many times, but can't find the answer I am looking for. Rim backspacing.I have searched and read many threads, maybe I just missed the one I needed . It seems most tire stores here in B.C. no very little regarding backspacing and of course all rims must be shipped up from the U.S. By the time all is said and done the price has doubled. I would like to order from the manufacturer or a store and have it delivered to a border shipping store, pick therm up there and save some money.
I have a 63 post, stock front end, cpp disc conversion with 2 inch drop spindles.
Can I use 17 x 7 with 4.5 b.s. 205/215-45-17 ?
Rear is also stock size with 3pack leaf de-arched 1" with 3/4 in lowering blk.
Can I use 17 x7 with 4.5 b.s. 225-45/50-17 ?
With the disc kit pushing the wheel out a bit, do i need a different b.s. up front?
I am hoping somebody out there is running a similiar set up and can give an easy answer.
Thanks Craig 63
There is no easy answer. Anyone can tell you what worked for them, and it may not work for you. Our cars vary quite a bit, and wheel fit, especially when you are pushing it on clearance, can be different on each vehicle. What you have posted for the rear *might* be okay, but on a stock front clip with drop spindles and disc brakes, the front is going to be difficult. Percy's makes a tool called the wheelrite to check size and backspacing, and it's not the best thing ever, expensive and flimsy, but it will give you a better idea of what will fit. Or, you can get the dimensions of the wheels and tires you want, and make something yourself to mock it up.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I can tell you that I am running a 7 inch rim with a 4.5 inch BS on the rear of my '63 and a 7 inch with a 5 inch BS on the front (with GM discs). The only difference the way it sounds is that I am running stock height spindles up front. If these cars were all manufactured the same (which is NOT a given!), the sizes you're talking about SHOULD be fine, but as has been said, there is no guarantee.

Chuck

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
63 backspacing

Thankyou for responding. I have been working on my car for 4 years and it seems I take one step forward and two steps back. I will get there eventually.

Thanks again
Craig 63

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thankyou for responding. I have been working on my car for 4 years and it seems I take one step forward and two steps back. I will get there eventually.

Thanks again
Craig 63
WHAT!!! Yer only taking one step back for every forward step, you are ahead of the game. Im usually three or more steps back for every forward step. Feel good!!!

And for the most part a 7" wheel seems to work well with the early novas. Common BS for the front seems to be 4.5" But as most folks have said do some measurements with a mock up wheel and tire. Specially with the cost of the wheels.

Simple cardboard will work. Thin 1/8" plywood. Heck, even 2x4 lumber. Anything you have around. Put the car at ride height, compressed if you can (springs out) and bolt up your mocked wheels to make sure they clear. An hour or two will save you from a cold sweat at night thinking about how to return wheels that dont fit. Spend the time, its well worth it. JR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts