Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys/gals I'm fairly new here. I really enjoy looking at what everybody else is doing with their cars.

I got my first Nova January 23, 2011.

She sat outside on the trailer until I got a BUNCH of old projects done. Once I got most of them done and made room in the shop I rolled her off the trailer and into the shop. This only took a month and a half. It drove me nuts to see this car sitting on the trailer and not in the shop getting rebuilt.

So now she was on the ground and this is what I have to work with.

At least she came with new quarter skins.

So I have one quarter cut off and the other needs cut off due to rust. I also need to R&R 1/4 of the trunk and both outer wheelhouses. Darn drag racers torched the wheel wells out to make room for fat slicks.

So at this point I am also thinking about what am I going to use for a motor?

I have two complete Buick 231 Turbo motors with the correct TH350.
I also have a four bolt 350/350 that I can rob from the '75 Luv.

Seeing as I have been working on this for a month and a half I have already made my choice. I'm really interested to see what you have to say.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Go man go!!!

Good luck and post pics as you move along with the project. We love pics here @ Steve's.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Well guys/gals I'm fairly new here. I really enjoy looking at what everybody else is doing with their cars.

I got my first Nova January 23, 2011.

She sat outside on the trailer until I got a BUNCH of old projects done. Once I got most of them done and made room in the shop I rolled her off the trailer and into the shop. This only took a month and a half. It drove me nuts to see this car sitting on the trailer and not in the shop getting rebuilt.

So now she was on the ground and this is what I have to work with.

At least she came with new quarter skins.

So I have one quarter cut off and the other needs cut off due to rust. I also need to R&R 1/4 of the trunk and both outer wheelhouses. Darn drag racers torched the wheel wells out to make room for fat slicks.

So at this point I am also thinking about what am I going to use for a motor?

I have two complete Buick 231 Turbo motors with the correct TH350.
I also have a four bolt 350/350 that I can rob from the '75 Luv.

Seeing as I have been working on this for a month and a half I have already made my choice. I'm really interested to see what you have to say.
and you got a ss yeah:yes:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can you tell?

and you got a ss yeah:yes:
I am guessing that it's the holes along the top of the fenders doors and quarters that tells you that it's a SS? I really don't know. I have several bundles of trim that I have not even looked at yet. I also have two rubber maid totes full of stuff. I am afraid to look at the stuff in the totes. They were full of rain water and everything looks like it's well rusted. :(

I was hoping to get some input on the motor as I am really interested in how sacrilegious it would be if I put in a Buick.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I am guessing that it's the holes along the top of the fenders doors and quarters that tells you that it's a SS? I really don't know. I have several bundles of trim that I have not even looked at yet. I also have two rubber maid totes full of stuff. I am afraid to look at the stuff in the totes. They were full of rain water and everything looks like it's well rusted. :(

I was hoping to get some input on the motor as I am really interested in how sacrilegious it would be if I put in a Buick.
the dash trim the moulding holes on the upper body doesnt have the ss guage cluster though

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What rear end

wow should be a fun built... keep the pictures coming. What rear end are you looking at running?
Originally I was going to use a F..d 8.8 from an Exploder. I believe its '96 and up come factory with 11' disc brakes and drum style E-brake. Gears are either 3.73 or 4.10 depending on what you get, posi, 59-1/2" disc to disc and Torino style bearings.

So I went to the wrecking yard and picked one up from a 2000 Exploder with 3.73 gears for $200.00. I also bought an extra passenger side axel, ($50), as it is 3" shorter than the driver side. The axels are 31 spline with c-clips. With a garage narrowing job you end up with a 56-1/2" wide rear end for $250 plus my time. :cool:

Sorry no pic's as I have not made the big cut yet.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Parts

So the first part I bought for my car is this.

This is a T-56 from a '97 Camaro. Yes the three pedal dance. Or as my step dad always said. It's not a real car unless it has three pedals.

The idea for the Buick lasted a few days and then I came to my senses.:woot:

So I pulled the motor from the '75 Luv and sent it packing on CL for $400 less the motor and buckets.

So here is the 350 bolted to the T-56.

My plan for the 350 is to build it into an all roller 383.:D

I also ordered a TCI front clip and their 3 link rear suspension. :devil:

So to make a short story shorter the wife is :mad:.

She is either going to get over it or kill me! :yes:

BTW here is a pic of one of the buckets I kept from the Luv. I really dig my 2x6 under the back so it sets level!

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
I like the way the dash "see's" it !!!!!!:cool:

Cool project you have going. :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
So the first part I bought for my car is this.

This is a T-56 from a '97 Camaro. Yes the three pedal dance. Or as my step dad always said. It's not a real car unless it has three pedals.

So I pulled the motor from the '75 Luv and sent it packing on CL for $400 less the motor and buckets.

So here is the 350 bolted to the T-56.

My plan for the 350 is to build it into an all roller 383.:D

I also ordered a TCI front clip and their 3 link rear suspension. :devil:

So to make a short story shorter the wife is :mad:.

She is either going to get over it or kill me! :yes:

BTW here is a pic of one of the buckets I kept from the Luv. I really dig my 2x6 under the back so it sets level!

What does it take to bolt up the t-56? Is it an 5 or 6 speed?Does it fit the camel hump?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What does it take to bolt up the t-56? Is it an 5 or 6 speed?Does it fit the camel hump?
The T-56 is a six speed.

Please note that there are two different ones for GM.
'97 and earlier will fit Gen1 thru Lt motors. Except you will have to change the flywheel for two piece rear main seal. It will not work with LS motors. For the LS motors you need '98 or newer.

For the two piece rear main you will need Centerforce flywheel 700107 to convert it over to the pull type clutch. Bought mine from Amazon for $389 with free shipping. If you have the one piece rear main the standard flywheel will work.

To make the conversion I would suggest that you get the master and slave cylinder, and pedal assembly.

You will either have to modify your stock trans crossmember or build a new one? I'm not sure. I'm using a TCI setup.

So far as the trans tunnel. I cut 90% of mine out and I'm going to fab a new one.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Looks like a great project! Keep the pictures coming!

If I didn't have bad knees that trans would be fun! especially with the right rear end!

Mark

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TCI is here!

Okay so a week after the trans shows up I get my shipment from TCI. They do a great job of packing the parts.:yes:

Okay so when I got my shipment I should have spent a little more time making sure I got all the "little" parts. When I realized some parts were missing I contacted the vendor that I purchased from and TCI was on the spot and sent me the missing parts.:thumbsup:

This is when I figured out that the F..d 8.8 was not going to work.:(
The 3 link is setup for a F..d 9. What's the big deal you ask?:confused:
The 8.8 has a cast pumpkin housing the 9 has the sheet metal housing. There are brackets that must be welded to the housing for the center ladder and the pinion adjustment rods.:mad:

So there is a $250 lesson. Oh well it could have been worse!!:turn:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Awwwhh darn!! Ive always love those turbo sixes. That would have been nice to see. Id like to throw one in my 71 fiat spider. JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Okay so a week after the trans shows up I get my shipment from TCI. They do a great job of packing the parts.:yes:
Now THATS a F-in delivery!!! You have enough parts there to keep you busy for a day or two :D

X-mas in May.... JR

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now THATS a F-in delivery!!! You have enough parts there to keep you busy for a day or two :D

X-mas in May.... JR
Actually it was X-mas in February. I got the car in January and started ordering parts right away. I really hit the ground running in mid March when I got the shop cleared out enough to roll her inside. So I have been working on her for about a month and a half almost every evening after work. My wife started out calling her my new "Baby". Now she calls her my "Mistress" or "The other wife".
So I have quite a bit done just sharing pics with everybody until I catch up with where I am now. Which is removing all the lead joints, seam sealer, and under coat. Great FUN! NOT!:no: But I have my eye on the prize.:yes:
I'm also sharing some of my mistakes so that hopefully somebody else can avoid the ones I made.
As I stumble along learning as I go I am test fitting everything before I do any body work. I still need to pull the motor and trans and change my mounts.
And so far as the Turbo Buick's I will save them for either the '54 Chev PU, if somebody does not buy it before I'm done with the 2dr, or build my wife a more door or long roof.:D

Dhamen

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awwwhh darn!! Ive always love those turbo sixes. That would have been nice to see. Id like to throw one in my 71 fiat spider. JR
A turbo six would make quite the screamer out of that little car. :yes: Esp with a 5 speed. Not a bad idea. I have all the parts kicking around! Except the Fiat.

I had one of them in a '75 Luv. It tipped the scale at 1900# with a canopy and dual full fuel tanks. When it hooked up it was wicked fast!!:devil:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The transformation begins

So after clearing all the stuff out of the car and power washing it inside and out the old stuff starts to come off.

Even having soaked all the bolts with WD40 for weeks before disassembly I still broke one off.:( What should I expect. This car is almost 50 years old.

So new stuff starts to get test fit.:thumbsup:

I was really surprised at how easy it was to install this front clip. It only took about 30 minutes to do by myself!:woot:
And here is the new engine bay!!

Any suggestions or comments?

Dhamen

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Search for a F..d 9"

Just in case you missed it when I received my TCI parts there was no rear end housing with the rear suspension.

Why? Because I thought I could save some money by getting something cheaper. Started with a F..d 8.8 for $250 and did not use it because it would not work.:(
So I look around and finally find a guy selling F..d 9" on CL for $75 each. He has several. I pick one that is still in a stepside truck. What do I know about F..d 9" rear ends? I'm a Chevy guy. I pick it up a few days later. I'm happy 62" wide should be very close to the stock unit.

While unloading it I discover it is a Traclock. Score!!:thumbsup:

So the next day I think my rear end problems are over. Not!

The TCI brackets are designed for 3" axel tubes. My new rear end has 3.30" axel tubes.:( And nobody in town wants to touch redrilling my axels.:( Why didn't I just grind out the brackets an use them? I would have had to remove almost 50% of the material to make them work and leave very little to weld to. So now I have another, as far as I'm concerned, scrap housing.

So I'm thinking that well at least I got a 9" Traclock 3rd member for $75 bucks. Still happy but disappointed.

I take the 3rd member in to have it rebuilt and install new gears. The guy at the shop tells me I have a quite rare find. It's not a 9" but a 9-3/8" with traclock. He says that seals and bearings are not a problem, finding gears is. He says that the gears are in great shape and they are 3.73.

So here is part of the deal. The bolt pattern is the same and takes standard 31 spline axels. Although the bolt pattern is the same as a standard 9" housing will have to be modified to make it fit.

9-3/8 Housing

9" Housing

Notice how on the 9-3/8 housing the notches in the front are larger. Also notice that in back the housing there are small notches.

I will have to duplicate these in a 9" housing to use this 3rd member.

The reason that I mention all this is to hopefully save somebody else the headache and not waste a bunch of time trying to reinvent the wheel.

I finally gave up and bought the TCI unit for just under $1000. It's a Curry unit and it comes with new 31 spline axels, Torino style bearings, and all the brackets already welded to it. What a time saver!!

I guess to make a long story short. If your going to spend a bunch of money on killer new suspension don't try to go cheap on the other parts that go with it!! I'm such a DA.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts