Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for options to replace the under dash e-brake on 63 with recently rebuilt drum brakes. With rear ended from a 66. I would like to get rid of the under dash option for a cleaner look and I don’t like the location of it.

I see a few people used pedals or hand brake kits from a Camaro or other cars based on rear end.

What does I need to consider when choosing an alternative pedal or hand brake?

The question is if the GM parking brakes such as this one will work, if I have the right cables kit?

Does anyone have experience with Lokar products? Looking at the Lokar Under Dash Emergency Brake Pedal Assemblies or the Lokar Floor Mount E-Hand Brake Kit

·
Registered
1963 Chevrolet II Nova SS
639 Posts
E-Stopp is another alternative. Just a button mounted anywhere you choose.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I have the Locar set up in my 65. I used a fellow member's idea - 62 Civa and mounted it on the transmission tunnel hump and cut a slit in the sheet metal . The cables are run inside the tunnel and run to each rear wheel. I have seen where guys have mounted them on top of the tunnel and the cable also run on top of the tunnel under their carpet and then exit the interior of the car under the rear seat on each side- I actually like that idea better as it would make accessing the cable adjuster easier- especially if you had a console to hide them. I should add I have rear disc brakes and I have to crank on the handle pretty good to hold the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Locar set up in my 65. I used a fellow member's idea - 62 Civa and mounted it on the transmission tunnel hump and cut a slit in the sheet metal . The cables are run inside the tunnel and run to each rear wheel. I have seen where guys have mounted them on top of the tunnel and the cable also run on top of the tunnel under their carpet and then exit the interior of the car under the rear seat on each side- I actually like that idea better as it would make accessing the cable adjuster easier- especially if you had a console to hide them. I should add I have rear disc brakes and I have to crank on the handle pretty good to hold the car.
Thanks may go this route but mount near drivers door prefer it to be hidden. Do you know if you have to use there linkage or will existing linkage work.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
ok, I just read this again. Looking at this picture (not my car) you can see where the e brake line is supported by the bracket on the frame. I am not sure ehere you are thinking of mounting the e brake handle specifically but i would think you would not want to be reaching to far ahead and down so this may present an angle problem unless you moved the bracket to the end of the rail and then had another bracket to account for the angle.
e brake bracket.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I just read this again. Looking at this picture (not my car) you can see where the e brake line is supported by the bracket on the frame. I am not sure ehere you are thinking of mounting the e brake handle specifically but i would think you would not want to be reaching to far ahead and down so this may present an angle problem unless you moved the bracket to the end of the rail and then had another bracket to account for the angle. View attachment 417680
thanks but currently I do not have bucket seats so mounting has to be dash or side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts