Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"62" two door rear tire size?

I have a "62" two door sedan. I'm going with Cragars, what off-set can I use and how wide can I go and stay under the wheel wells?

·
Registered
320 Posts
65 Post said:
From everything I've read, a 15 x 7 with a 4 1/2 rear spacing fits perfect. You can go on www.novesource.com and look under their tire fitment section. Good reading. Dave
This wheel recommendation is a good maximum if ya don't want to cut or hammer. Just moved my old rear wheels onto my buddy's 64. 15x8 with 5" backspace. tire tires are 235 60 15 BFG drag radials - tire centerline is exactly same as wheel above, just more sidewall bulge. We trimmed a little off of suspension stops with a sawzall and also trimmed away lip of outside lip of wheelhousing until it was just flush with quarter lip using grinder. We then used a porta power and flat block to push outer 1/2 of wheelhouse closer to quarter at the point where tire bulge will contact. Car looks the same on outside, but air space between quarter and wheelhouse wall is diminished. Result is no rubbing w/8" wheel ,I believe this is all you can fit on 1st gen. but try porta power thing at your own risk if ya got a flashy paint job -lots o' flexing and scary noises. I'd think same tires on 7" wheel would not require any of the above ,just shove 'em on and drive

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The 15X7 with 4.5 backspacing is the best fit for the widest tire without moving the leafsprings inboard. Cutting or rolling of the wheel lip will do nothing in my opinion because a tire to wide would rub on the inner wheelwells due to the design of the Quarter panal. Just run your hand up the inside of your quarter panal and you will see where it sits out due to this design. And adding air shocks to raise the rear of the car will not do the trick. This is a temp. fix that will only work a while till you get a air leak and the car comes down and tears the h--- out of your tires or wheelwell. I also like the Cragars rims but could not find them with anymore then a 4 inch backspacing. I went with the Weld Pro Star and love them. With a 15X7 with 4.5 backspacing I can run a 245X60X15 without any rubbing with new gas shocks and leafspring in good shape. Mine were re-arched. I can carry two people in the backseat and has not rubbed in 4 years. You can see pics of my car and its stance on my web site. Its better to do it right then to have to do it twice. You will also find out the for what ever reason not all early Novas are the same. Some people have clearance issues and some never due running the same things. I run 14X6 with 3.5 backspacing up front. Also please note that to install these tires and rims the car must be jacked up high enough for the tires to clear to be mounted

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
So if 15X7's

with 4.5 backspacing fit, 16X7 or even 17X7's should fit as well or easily correct? I just seem to keep readying about 15X7's with 4.5 BS and dont want to assume and find I'm wrong. What about 4.75 BS'ing?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have 15x7's with a 4.75" on the back of my 64. I have Cadillac rear discs.
I had 15x7 with a 4.5" backspace proir to the disc brakse and they rubbed slightly with the car being 2" lowered.

Now it takes a BIG bump to rub, and it's not bad.

Tim

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You will also find out the for what ever reason not all early Novas are the same. Some people have clearance issues and some never due running the same things.
To illustrate the point, I have Centerline Telstars 15x7, 4.5" BS 225/60R15 and the outer sidewall occasionally lightly rubs the outer wheelhouse where the bodyline rolls in (about 1-2" up from the lip). There is no way I could run the 245/60s that rjy uses, even with the same size / offset rim.

To me, 15x7, 4.5" BS w/ 225/60R15 is the maximum SAFE size to buy. Some say 235/60R15, but I know they'd rub on my car. Anything bigger than a 225/60R15, and I'd advise careful measurement before buying! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts