Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 62 Nova with a column shift. I am installing a new TCI front clip and neeed to replace my column because:
1. the sharft and gear box are one piece.
2. The column has the shifter integrated that I do not want to retain.

I would rather not spend the $400 pluse for a new column. Does anyone know of a bolt in, stock replacement from:
1. another Nova year that does not have the 1 piece shaft\gearbox.
2. another, compatable car\model

I plane to purchase the appropriate extension frfom the column shaft to rack and pinion steering box.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Been there, done that. For similar reasons. I put a 72-78 Chevy van tilt column in my 64 Nova with a Heidts MII crossmember and suspension with rack and pinion steering. Similar to your TCI setup.
Heres the link
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121460
I posted this "How too" in this section a few months back.
My total cost was in the $80 range.
===========================
Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Would not have expected a van though!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not quite what I needed

Almost! I could actually do this with the stock column. What I am looking for is a column "whithout" the shifter. I am using a floor shifter and want to be rid of the shifter colar and shifter linkage at the end of the column.

I was was assuming someone may have used a column from another nova year or something like a mustang.

I guess I will just have to take mesurements and rumage through the junk yard.:yes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Almost! I could actually do this with the stock column. What I am looking for is a column "whithout" the shifter. I am using a floor shifter and want to be rid of the shifter colar and shifter linkage at the end of the column.

I was was assuming someone may have used a column from another nova year or something like a mustang.

I guess I will just have to take mesurements and rumage through the junk yard.:yes:
You can easily delete the shifter off one of these columns. I've done three of them that way. They are also easier to shorten when you are not keeping the shifter on the column. The indicator lense housing just unscrews and the light socket easily comes out. Then all you have to do is remove the shifter arm and saw/ grind/ file off the shifter nub. Fill the hole with some body filler or metal to metal filler, spot weld the indicator housing light hole up and two screw holes, grind the welds, grind off and bevel out the shifter indicator "needle" arm and fill with filler, sand, prime, and paint. vola', instant shifter deleted column.
I've also seen builders delete the igniton switch/ key off columns as well using the same methods.
Just because it has a shifter arm on it doesn't mean you have to use it or keep it on. Old school fabrication is what it is about guys. Making what you need without having to spend big bucks that you don't have.
Use your imagination.
Another use of the shifter arm nub on the shifter bowl is to use it as a mount for a tachometer. Thats what i'm going to do to mine, if I ever remove the bench seat and put bucket seats and console with a relocated shifter to the floor.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ask here in the wanted section, someone will chime in with the correct manual column cone part if you want to purchase it for a direct bolt in. or do like Rotorbolt said, cut and delete, I've done that before, normal body work procedure.....

the manual part can be a bit harder to find though b/c most 1st gens were power glide autos, or three on the tree manuals, which both style columns would need to have the column shifter deleted....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts