Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is involved in replacing the steering box in a 62? i'm going to be doing this this week and wanted to get some pointers or helpful tips.

thanks
jon

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Take out the 3 mounting bolts holding the unit on, remove pitman arm, steering wheel and components, jack it up high enough to take the box and steering shaft out all at once.................easier if there is no front clip on it!:yes:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd also reccomend unbolting the column from the dash; allows more room to get the shaft out... you realize the box and shaft have to come out as a unit.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The easiest way is to remove the steering wheel from the column, unbolt the column from the floor and remove the column. Then raise the car, unbolt the left side motor mount and raise the engine two inches or so. After this prep work, you're ready to remove the box/shaft assembly.

Been there, done that!
Chuck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the advice, i'm also replacing the factory power assist with a manual unit, which i have all the parts for.....i think:confused:

at this point i took the steering wheel off and have the column loose, the center link is unbolted from the tie rods and at this point i am trying to get the pitman arm off as it looks to be the best way....:confused:...then i will take off the pitman arm from the power assist unit

keep you posted and if there are any time saving ideas keep em coming..

thanks
jon

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Is this what trying to do?

Remove steering wheel and this

You should see this shaft

This is what is under the car

If so, the part of the shaft that the steering wheel attaches to has to swing towards the drivers door and up close to the dash.You should be able to twist or manuver the steering box/shaft out fron under the car if it is high enough off the ground.You might will need to get the header out of the way to make more room, I did not need to do this but some might.

-Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts