Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a pretty much stock 62 4 dr nova and was my daily driver. It appears that an axle bearing went out and started smoking. Do not know the extent of the damage but a replacement might be better than a repair at this point. Car is currently at a shop awaiting inspection. I have been looking for information and I want to know what other cars or year novas have a direct bolt-on replacement rear axle. I am not familiar with rear ends so any help would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update & lots of Questions

I found a shop that will do the job for $541.23. This includes two timken bearings, pinion seal and a transmission bumper. Apparently my pinion seal was leaking badly and one axle bearing went out. Some sort of rubber bump stop is not the correct part so this needs to be replaced because there is some rubbing. The shop can get the bearings for $220 a piece :eek:.

Could I find them cheaper online? Which timken bearings do I need? Would the chevy2only axle bearings do? I think that if I buy the parts and get them installed I would save money and might be cheaper than getting a new rear end or having the shop order the parts. What do you guys think. Any other parts I need and should buy?:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
a rear bearing went out in my 62 a few years ago and i was able to find a replacement on eBay for about $50, i got two and did both of them. oil seals from Napa for a few bucks. the bearings came with new retainers so i had to take the axles to a shop and have them pressed on. $541 sounds steep but if this car is your daily driver and you can't shop around or wait for parts to arrive, maybe you can shop around to different mechanics?

replacing the rearend to a 5-bolt is a popular choice but you'll need new wheels/tires too.

good luck!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Blurr for the quick response. I do have time to look for parts and shop around. I got aride for now. I will check e-bay. Chevy2Only sells them for $90 with the steel retainer. Timken and BCA bearings however appear to be the best replacements (cost more too). If those $50 bearings are holding out I should be fine. The only reason my bearing wore out prematurely was due to the oil leak. I will check NAPA and buy some fluid and seals. Parts list is as follows for now:
1)2 axle bearings with steel retainer
2)Pinion seal
3)Transmission Mount (I think this is the rubber bumper thing I need)
4)Differential fluid
5)Differential Gasket
Any other parts I might need? or do not need?

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
a rear bearing went out in my 62 a few years ago and i was able to find a replacement on eBay for about $50, i got two and did both of them. oil seals from Napa for a few bucks. the bearings came with new retainers so i had to take the axles to a shop and have them pressed on. $541 sounds steep but if this car is your daily driver and you can't shop around or wait for parts to arrive, maybe you can shop around to different mechanics?

replacing the rearend to a 5-bolt is a popular choice but you'll need new wheels/tires too.

good luck!
Ditto on this info.Midway through this same issue myself,have a shop remove the old & press on the new.You can leave the brake ***'y on to remove the axles with the bolts on the backing plate.You'll save about $300 at least !!!

Good luck!!! Ric

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will see how much the parts come out to and will post prices and everything I got. I know a couple of shops that will do the install with the parts I supply. I think I am looking at about $40-$60 labor. Not sure if this is per side or both but I'm sure the total will be much less than $540. Oh which gear oil do you guys reccomend? (Weight,Brand,Cost,Quantity). Thanks guys for all the help. Will try to order all my parts tommorow and hopefully have everything by next weekend to get it repaired.:)

Quick question. Are the terms wheel bearing, axle bearing, and axle shaft bearing referring to the same part?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not sure how original you want the car to stay, bit this may be a good time to pick up a 10 bolt out of a 64-67 Nova. You'll get bigger brakes and better overall longevity, plus parts will be easier and cheaper to source when it needs work. It will require new wheels to fit the 5 lug. 13" and 14" 5 lug steel wheels are easy to find.

You could probably change the fronts over to 5 lug as well and still not spend what it'll cost to fix your 62 rr end. The 5 lug will give you about 1.5 square inches of additional brake shoe contact per wheel, a BIG difference and still looks stock.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice

I was considering a swap if cost was too much. So far I have spent $224 on all the parts needed for the repair. Labor should be less than $100 so I'm looking at roughly $300 total. I doubt I could get another rear end that is ready to bolt on for this price. Bearings should be here tomorrow.:yes:

·
4,539 Posts
Axle Bearing part # is RW-506-AR (Timken #)
Pinion Seal part # is 8611 (National Seal)
You will want a new pinion nut for sure.

Miles

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I realize you already bought parts but.........

What part of CA are you in. I have a 10 bolt you can have if you are close. It came out of my 66 wagon and is just over an inch wider per side but if you arent running some wide tires (more than 7"). Let me know if you can use it. Free is Free.......its even got brakes on it still

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
If you want to go the 5 lug route let me know. I have an 62 frontend out of a wagon already setup for 5 lug. You would want to go through it its been sitting for about 8 years. I am also trying to pick out brakes for my Dana 60 and have the money to build it so my 5 lug 3:08 will be available within a month or so. Also have 14" Enki rims (look like the solid centerline rims) as well. Needs new tires but they roll and hold air just bald. Where in Ca are you. Im in Modesto but could help with meeting you. Im open to trades or if you are interested I will give you a price on all or some.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
We may end up giving him a whole new drivetrain....

Can't complain though I guess with people just donating. Come to think of it, anyone have a 67 SS they don't need or want out of their yard? I'm not picky. :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Axle Bearing part # is RW-506-AR (Timken #)
Pinion Seal part # is 8611 (National Seal)
You will want a new pinion nut for sure.

Miles
What part of CA are you in. I have a 10 bolt you can have if you are close. It came out of my 66 wagon and is just over an inch wider per side but if you arent running some wide tires (more than 7"). Let me know if you can use it. Free is Free.......its even got brakes on it still
If you want to go the 5 lug route let me know. I have an 62 frontend out of a wagon already setup for 5 lug. You would want to go through it its been sitting for about 8 years. I am also trying to pick out brakes for my Dana 60 and have the money to build it so my 5 lug 3:08 will be available within a month or so. Also have 14" Enki rims (look like the solid centerline rims) as well. Needs new tires but they roll and hold air just bald. Where in Ca are you. Im in Modesto but could help with meeting you. Im open to trades or if you are interested I will give you a price on all or some.
JBimmolate got the part numbers already. Great local shop around my place that has been in business for over 35 years (always busy though). Pinion seal number is the same 8611. I will look for the pinion nut. Seals will be here tomorrow.

As for parts I am glad to take/buy parts I will need. f16fxr4real if you can donate that rear end I can use it until I can rebuild mine or repair mine and then I would have a spare rear end that I could take my time to rebuild. I have stock rims with 14" inch tires. Not sure on the width but it should work. i need new tires anyways.

luepke75 I would love to go 5 lug but the only thing holding me back was cost. If the price is right I can take it off your hands. I have money now but I have to make it count. Still need to replace my carb and get the cpp lowers/alignment done.:yes: Definately interested. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pinion Nut?

Yeah I saw this item Blurr but I wanted the parts asap. I only had cash and Paypal and bank accounts are dry.:( Oh and did you notice the item location (Istanbul, Umraniye, Turkey). I would have been waiting for a while.

I got the bearings and seals yesterday. Seals are Timken and the bearings are BCA brand which cost more than the Timkens but I paid the same price. Total I spent $224 on all parts. Now labor is not that much so I will call around this afternoon. Have school later so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help. Still need the pinion nut I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts