Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody im new to the site just looking for some opinions on what i should do with this 62 nova i got for a great deal its a v6 i would post pictures but i dont know how.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Depends what you are wanting out of this car. If you are wanting something to hit the interstate with you are probably going to want to update the engine/trans as well as the brakes. If you enjoy preserving the history of things and are looking to cruise it around town to enjoy it for what it is, then probably just replace what is necessary.

To post pics, open a Photobucket account (which is free) and paste in the IMG links into these posts. Sounds complicated but is pretty easy once you have done it a couple times.

Is it a V6 or the original I6?

Welcome to the site, lots of good info and help on here.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to the site! :yes:

Take your time in making a decision, it's your car and figure out what you want to do with her! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the welcoming hopefully you guys can see those pictures. Aquass its the original I6

·
Registered
983 Posts
Budget has a lot to do with it too. There is nothing worse than having dreams and visions of a resto-mod and sinking a good deal of money into them and realizing midstream that its going to take a lot more money than you thought to get it on the road. That tends to make the wife unhappy too.

There might be more than a few people that will disagree with me on this, but it just depends on your flavor. These cars' suspensions and brakes are not that great (to put it nicely) by today's standards when they are bone stock. They also are not like Corvettes where they are worth a whole lot monetarily when they are in stock form.

When I started my convertible 10 years ago I rebuilt the whole 4 lug brake system, bought 4 new tires and put all new bushings in the suspension chasing alignment issues. Then ended up ditching it all for a modern front end and disc brakes anyway, and had to buy 4 more new tires.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have the day off and there is nothing I would rather do than talk about Novas, so here is a little more advice.

Order you up a Classic Industries and Chevy II Only catalog so you can get an idea of what things cost and what is/isn't reproduced so you dont get rid of or ruin stuff that is hard to replace.

If you have trim on the side be very careful with it...it is not reproduced at all and it will cost you a mint to replace it if you can find it. (Your pics didnt show up so i am not even sure what body style its is.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I get home ill try the pictures out again the body needs paint I don't think I have any trim interior is mostly there no grille one headlight bezel and headlight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I get home ill try the pictures out again the body needs paint I don't think I have any trim interior is mostly there no grille one headlight bezel and headlight

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Budget has a lot to do with it too. There is nothing worse than having dreams and visions of a resto-mod and sinking a good deal of money into them and realizing midstream that its going to take a lot more money than you thought to get it on the road. That tends to make the wife unhappy too.

There might be more than a few people that will disagree with me on this, but it just depends on your flavor. These cars' suspensions and brakes are not that great (to put it nicely) by today's standards when they are bone stock. They also are not like Corvettes where they are worth a whole lot monetarily when they are in stock form.
Good advice!

I was going to post this as well. I owned a numbers matching Corvette for many years, and there was ALWAYS a market for the original cars. Novas will always have more value when updated ie: disc brakes, 5 lug wheels('62-'63), V8 engine, overdrive auto, ect...

And yes, you can come to the realization that it will cost you more half way through the project. One way around that is to start buying parts, as you can afford them, and just setting them aside. That way when you DO take tear the car down, you will have a much faster turn around, plus the parts will be already paid for.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The best thing would be to sit down on this site and do some research on products that guys have used. Information is very valuable when making decisions on what to purchase. Best of all there is a lot of it on this site and its FREE for you to take advantage of.

You will find some expensive packages out there with huge disk brakes, these cars a very light and all that stuff is for looks and is way overkill. These are very fun cars just with modest upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks everyone i ordered a classic industrys a few days ago and if its not hurting the value my brother in law has a fully built 383 stroker that ill throw in it i just didnt know if they were more vaulable left original or not

·
Registered
983 Posts
If you decide not to use those seat covers and door panels do not trash them. Even though they may seem old they are sought after because neither are reproduced either.

Looks like car was originally a nice color too.

Looks like you have a good one to start with. My vote would be for the 383 also. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts