Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post Wohoo!

i have a 1962 ChevyII Nova that has been patiently sitting on the side waiting for a V8.

It had a 6cyl, but it was pulled off for another project.

Now I found a LT1 5.7L w/4l60e lined up from a 1995 police-detective car Caprice 9c1.
The detective cars have FAR less mileage and abuse as compared to the Black/White street cruisers..

I'm set in going Fuel Injection, but i have some other questions that I couldn't find while in SEARCH.

* Im going to use the A/C delete pulley, is there such thing as a P/Steering delete pulley?

* will the stock LT1 Oil Pan clear the stock suspension, or will I need a custom pan?

* Will the LT1 install on the NOVA V8 frame mounts, or do I need special LS1 engine conversion mounts?

* I have a set of Hedman headers for a 1st Gen Nova with SBC, will these fit the LT1??

thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Read this thread....

Poke here for LT1

While its not a gen 1, you will get some valuable insight....

To answer your questions....

1) Not to my knowledge,
2) No, you will need to use a V8 front sump pan and pump/pickup
3) See the thread, it's addressed for how to mod your block to fit standard chevy mounts, it should bolt right up once you change the frame mounts to a V8, Inline 6 are different.
4) I think some Heddman's had issues hitting the steering arm, Hookers will work fine.

T,

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Stock style V-8 mounts will work with with the LT motor. You will need a different oil pan, or better than that use the the Church Boys rack conversion with the stock LT pan. You will probably need a new radiator and transmission crossmember as well.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Read this thread....

Poke here for LT1

While its not a gen 1, you will get some valuable insight....

To answer your questions....

1) Not to my knowledge,
2) No, you will need to use a V8 front sump pan and pump/pickup
3) See the thread, it's addressed for how to mod your block to fit standard chevy mounts, it should bolt right up once you change the frame mounts to a V8, Inline 6 are different.
4) I think some Heddman's had issues hitting the steering arm, Hookers will work fine.

T,
Sweet. Thanks for the props man. :D

All that was said in the above post is right on the money. I cannot comment on first gens and Headman headers, but I did use mid-length Hedmans on my third gen, and they took some "massaging" to get them past the power steering box. :devil:

The biggest thing to think about in a FI swap is fuel delivery (pump, tank, lines).

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
Cool to see you're jazzed up over your project !!! :yes::yes::yes:

Welcome to Steve's Nova Site ! :D
Do a member intro thread about yourself & get some pics of that '62 on here !!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you will get go tips & etc. about the LT1 swap.

Aloha,Ric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
69LT1nova, TomM, and Burke, THANKS!!

and I think, I answered my own question, S&P makes a Alternator only belt system for the LT1, eliminates P/S pump and A/C pump!

Anyone know if the SBC 1st gen Nova V8 pan will fit the LT1?

Thanks to all in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
69LT1nova, TomM, and Burke, THANKS!!

and I think, I answered my own question, S&P makes a Alternator only belt system for the LT1, eliminates P/S pump and A/C pump!

Anyone know if the SBC 1st gen Nova V8 pan will fit the LT1?

Thanks to all in advance!
im not totally sure about this one but, i think it will as long as you get one for a 1 piece seal

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Tanks inc makes an in tank fuel pump kit that can be adapted to a 1st gen tank. I used it in the LS conversion I'm doing.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Do a search I know somebody has a front sump pan for late model blocks. You'll have to "clearance" the oil pump body so the rods or crank hit it. Get a hold of Paul Wright he may have a pump and the good pump shaft ready to go. And you'll have to modify the pump pick up tube bracket so its mounted by drilling a hole in the block next to the main cap or using a main stud.

Next option is to use an aftermarket rear sump pan like from Milodon or Moroso or kevko. You should be able to use headers for a regular Gen 1 small block.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
65 nova lt1

I have your exact setup in my 65 nova. I used the churchboys crossmember and chevette rack so i didn't have to switch out the pan. I did end up getting rid of my hedman headers and switched over to hooker supercomps. They were the only ones that would clear with my set up. The other problem I ran into was the d shape port of the heads if your not running at least 1 3/4 headers the 1 1/2 block some of the exhaust port, at least on mine it did. As far as a alternator only setup check ebay I bought one off of there for 80.00 bucks that has the alternator sitting on the bottom of the right side and uses a standard gm alternator.

Shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts