Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to re-install the mud buckets on my 62 Nova. The mud buckets use some small nuts that self clip in place. They are like a nut with a spring steel clip incorporated into the nut itself. What are these types of nuts called? Where can I buy them? If I knew what they are called I can probably get them through McMaster Carr. Secondly, does anyone here have a diagram of how the whole mudbucket, headlight mount, lamp adjustment, springs, etc all go together? This is the problem with having may car apart for so long. Old age is not helping either:confused: Thanks in advance guys.
Ron

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I know what you are talking about. They are the same clips used on the fenders. And for the life of me I didnt know what they were called to do a search. You know, the industry standard nomenclature. J Nuts is what they are, after soo many searches. Try that. JR

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I'm looking into this for my own car right now. Let ya know if I find anything.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you are talking about. They are the same clips used on the fenders. And for the life of me I didnt know what they were called to do a search. You know, the industry standard nomenclature. J Nuts is what they are, after soo many searches. Try that. JR
Thanks JR, I'll try seraching J Nuts.

I'm looking into this for my own car right now. Let ya know if I find anything.
Hi Jonesy,

I'll let you know what I find out. Do you happen to know if the screws have a sheet metal type thread? Sometimes these "J Nuts" don't actualy have a nut on them, they are just a sheetmetal type nut that goes along with a sheet metal threaded screw. Other times, they have an acual threaded nut on them and them they use standard threaded fasteners. I think the mud bucket ones are 1/4"-20 threads.......Does anyone know for sure? A photo with the headlight molding removed would be helpfull:yes::D
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Went out to take a picture, here they are if still needed. 2 different hole sizes too.

Yes Ron they are sheetmetal type screws with large threads.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
The one with the larger hole is for the headlight bucket the smaller hole is for ?????? Fender to mudbucket maybe, I forget......

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. Thank you. Now i just need to figure out what size. I think 1/4"-20?
Ron
The ones for the turn sig assy's would be something like a size 8 screw.

The ones for the headlamp assy's I'm unsure about. The headlamp assy's are held in with a sheetmetal threaded type screw.It almost looks like a short wood lag bolt!

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might be wrong looking at those again, the ones on the left have the small J nuts on them.
Those are the small size ones that are used to mount the headlight trim rings. I think those are about a #6 size. I am begining to think that the ones that mount the mud buckets are #10 size. I just went through McMaster Carr and Grainger catalogs. They both carry them. I am heading to OSH hardware tomarrow to take a look around. I'll let you know what I find.
Ron

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Went out to take a picture, here they are if still needed. 2 different hole sizes too.

Yes Ron they are sheetmetal type screws with large threads.
The larger is for mounting the fender to the mud bucket.The bolt for this looks like a small wood lag bolt with a 3/8 or 7/16 head.

The smaller is for the headlight assy.This uses a phillips screw that has a built on washer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts